Man impaled on fence spike
A MAN had to be cut free by firefighters after becoming impaled on a 10ft fence outside a Royston pub in the early hours of Sunday. The incident took place outside the Barracuda pub in Baldock Street. The ambulance service was called to the scene at abou
A MAN had to be cut free by firefighters after becoming impaled on a 10ft fence outside a Royston pub in the early hours of Sunday.
The incident took place outside the Barracuda pub in Baldock Street.
The ambulance service was called to the scene at about 2.45am by a member of staff at the pub.
They found the 21-year old man from Royston impaled on a metal fence 10ft from the ground with a spike through his thigh.
You may also want to watch:
They alerted fire crews who arrived at about 3.10am.
Firefighters supported the man before cutting him from the fence using a hacksaw and hydraulic cutting equipment.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 9 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 10 Sign up to village duathlon and raise funds for Home-Start
He was lowered to the ground using a platform and taken to the Lister hospital in Stevenage.
Gary Sanderson, spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Trust, said: "This was a delicate and protracted incident for our crews to deal with.
"Due to the nature of the patient's injuries the fire service had to delicately remove the male who was trapped on the fence which allowed us more access to treat him more easily.
"Following further stabilisation by paramedics he was taken to an awaiting trauma team at the hospital."
A spokesman for the Herts Fire and Rescue Service said: "It's unclear at this stage how the man got into this situation.
"We suspect he was trying to climb over the fence into the beer garden."
Police attended to assist with controlling a crowd that gathered at the scene.
A police spokesman said: "There was no-one else involved and we are not investigating the incident."
No-one from the Barracuda was available for comment.
- A 43-year-old man remains in hospital after a serious assault in Jepps Lane, Royton, on June 9.
The assault happened following an argument in the Barracuda earlier that evening.