Man fined after false benefit claims
A MAN has been fined after falsely claiming over �2,000 in benefits.
Glen Hoffman, 52, of Appleacre Park, Fowlmere, failed to report that he had been working as a builder to either the Department for Work and Pensions or South Cambs District Council (SCDC).
An investigation from the two organisations revealed he had been overpaid �672.12 housing and council tax benefit and �1,479.49 in income support.
Hoffman pleaded guilty at Cambridge Magistrates Court last week and was fined �200, ordered to pay a �15 victim surcharge and a further �581.20 towards the cost of the investigation and prosecution.
Chris Freeman, fraud manager at SCDC, said “Last year SCDC prosecuted 24 people for benefit fraud and issued cautions or financial penalties in a further 19 cases.
You may also want to watch:
“It is due to hard work by the council investigators that people in South Cambridgeshire who are committing benefit fraud will be caught.
Residents can report any suspicions either via www.scambs.gov.uk/benefitfraud or through the dedicated hotline on 0800 7311892.
- 1 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love
- 2 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 4 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 5 Group of mums and dad in wig go the distance for wheelchair charity
- 6 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 7 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 8 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 9 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
- 10 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity