Man fined after false benefit claims
A MAN has been fined after falsely claiming over �2,000 in benefits.
Glen Hoffman, 52, of Appleacre Park, Fowlmere, failed to report that he had been working as a builder to either the Department for Work and Pensions or South Cambs District Council (SCDC).
An investigation from the two organisations revealed he had been overpaid �672.12 housing and council tax benefit and �1,479.49 in income support.
Hoffman pleaded guilty at Cambridge Magistrates Court last week and was fined �200, ordered to pay a �15 victim surcharge and a further �581.20 towards the cost of the investigation and prosecution.
Chris Freeman, fraud manager at SCDC, said “Last year SCDC prosecuted 24 people for benefit fraud and issued cautions or financial penalties in a further 19 cases.
You may also want to watch:
“It is due to hard work by the council investigators that people in South Cambridgeshire who are committing benefit fraud will be caught.
Residents can report any suspicions either via www.scambs.gov.uk/benefitfraud or through the dedicated hotline on 0800 7311892.
- 1 Crews tackle fires in residential street and industrial area
- 2 'We have a huge task on our hands, but The Pheasant will fly again'
- 3 IWM Duxford set to reopen fully and new flying days announced
- 4 CCTV appeal after large amount of criminal damage to secured yard
- 5 Police dog helps track down bike stolen in South Cambs
- 6 Who are our North Herts candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 7 Second Gladman planning application for fields near Therfield Heath rejected
- 8 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 9 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 10 Melbourn ward by-election 2021: Who are the candidates?