Man dies after freak jousting accident
A MAN has died after a freak accident during a mock joust for the television programme Time Team, it has emerged. Paul Allen, 54, was involved in the joust when a lance splintered his eye after entering the eye-slit of his helmet. Mr Allen, of Heydon, w
A MAN has died after a freak accident during a mock joust for the television programme Time Team, it has emerged.
Paul Allen, 54, was involved in the joust when a lance splintered his eye after entering the eye-slit of his helmet.
Mr Allen, of Heydon, was involved in the mock joust at Rockingham Castle for the programme.
The accident it being investigated by the Health and Safety Executive, but is not believed to be the subject of a police inquiry.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Allen died after undergoing an emergency operation in a hospital in Coventry.
Channel 4 said: "The professional company of historical enactors has an excellent safety record and took all the appropriate and necessary precautions and it does sadly appear that this was a tragic freak accident."
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 6 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 7 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 8 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 9 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
- 10 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
Mr Allen, a former history teacher, had a passion for ancient times and was involved in enactments of the Vikings, the Saxons, the Egyptians and the Greeks.
He was a regular visitor to a number of schools in the Royston area where he appeared in the appropriate costume and gave talks on ancient history as well as getting pupils involved in role playing.