Make a McSplash without splashing out
FREE swimming for children and the elderly will soon be on offer at Melbourn swimming pool. South Cambridgeshire District Council is introducing free sessions for under-16 s and over-60 s at three of its pools, including Melbourn McSplash pool, in a bid
FREE swimming for children and the elderly will soon be on offer at Melbourn swimming pool.
South Cambridgeshire District Council is introducing free sessions for under-16's and over-60's at three of its pools, including Melbourn McSplash pool, in a bid to promote sport and fitness amongst its residents.
Working with Cambridgeshire County Council, they have secured funding to launch the scheme in April.
Cllr David Bard, district council portfolio holder for new communities, said: "We are keen to promote sport within our communities and swimming is a great means of exercising that is accessible to all.
"This initiative will not only provide an opportunity for our under 16s and over 60s to improve their health and well-being but it is also offers a great social opportunity," he said.
The move is part of a nationwide governmental initiative to offer free swimming for the under 16's and the over 60's. This is aimed at promoting exercise and to ensuring a lasting sporting legacy from the 2012 London Olympics.
- 1 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 2 Councillors take the plunge to raise money for Home-Start
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 New mayor elected in historic moment for Royston Town Council
- 5 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 6 Sex offender Macaulay Brown jailed for over 11 years
- 7 Garden centre to host royal treat for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 World IBD Day: Crohn's disease sufferer speaks out
- 9 Dallas legend Patrick Duffy set for mystery thriller coming to Cambridge stage
- 10 Family-run bridalwear shop closes down after 23 years
Cllr Bard added: "The initial funding is for just two years but we will be working closely with Schools Sports Partnership's Living Sport, and NHS Cambridgeshire, to ensure that free swimming will continue in some capacity beyond this period."
Melbourn pool, which is located at the village college, has received cash to allow minor improvement work to take place to enhance facilities and to accommodate the expected increase in attendance. Impington and Sawston pools are also part of the scheme.
Last year, North Hertfordshire district council announced that they would not be offering free swimming at their pools, including Royston Leisure Centre, because of the "financial burden" it would place on the council's budget.
For more information on the swimming timetable at Melbourn pool, phone 01763 263313.