Young Maisie takes on mountain trek and paragliding in North America
- Credit: Archant
A nine-year-old girl who is home-educated in Orwell has been on a trip half-way around the world taking on a mountain-trek and paragliding.
Maisie Murphy went to Orlando, Los Angeles, Hawaii and Vancouver as part of an educational but fun trip lasting 30 days – and the youngster seized every opportunity she had.
Mum Judith said: “What was most memorable was Maisie paragliding from the top of Grouse Mountain in North Vancouver, British Columbia.
“The mountain top is 4,100ft – dwarfed only by Ben Nevis in the entire UK – and Maisie just ran off the end of it along with her instructor – she is only nine, though looks much older.
“She relished the whole experience and wants to go on to become an experienced paraglider and fly solo. The whole trip was geography, history and fun all rolled into one experience. Better than any stuffy old classroom.”
You may also want to watch:
The paraglide followed a two-hour trek up the mountain’s 800m incline – known as Grouse Grind – and preceded a mountain-to-mountain zip-lining experience.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 6 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 7 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 8 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms