Young Maisie takes on mountain trek and paragliding in North America
- Credit: Archant
A nine-year-old girl who is home-educated in Orwell has been on a trip half-way around the world taking on a mountain-trek and paragliding.
Maisie Murphy went to Orlando, Los Angeles, Hawaii and Vancouver as part of an educational but fun trip lasting 30 days – and the youngster seized every opportunity she had.
Mum Judith said: “What was most memorable was Maisie paragliding from the top of Grouse Mountain in North Vancouver, British Columbia.
“The mountain top is 4,100ft – dwarfed only by Ben Nevis in the entire UK – and Maisie just ran off the end of it along with her instructor – she is only nine, though looks much older.
“She relished the whole experience and wants to go on to become an experienced paraglider and fly solo. The whole trip was geography, history and fun all rolled into one experience. Better than any stuffy old classroom.”
You may also want to watch:
The paraglide followed a two-hour trek up the mountain’s 800m incline – known as Grouse Grind – and preceded a mountain-to-mountain zip-lining experience.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 7 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 8 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 9 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 10 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?