Young Maisie takes on mountain trek and paragliding in North America
- Credit: Archant
A nine-year-old girl who is home-educated in Orwell has been on a trip half-way around the world taking on a mountain-trek and paragliding.
Maisie Murphy went to Orlando, Los Angeles, Hawaii and Vancouver as part of an educational but fun trip lasting 30 days – and the youngster seized every opportunity she had.
Mum Judith said: “What was most memorable was Maisie paragliding from the top of Grouse Mountain in North Vancouver, British Columbia.
“The mountain top is 4,100ft – dwarfed only by Ben Nevis in the entire UK – and Maisie just ran off the end of it along with her instructor – she is only nine, though looks much older.
“She relished the whole experience and wants to go on to become an experienced paraglider and fly solo. The whole trip was geography, history and fun all rolled into one experience. Better than any stuffy old classroom.”
The paraglide followed a two-hour trek up the mountain’s 800m incline – known as Grouse Grind – and preceded a mountain-to-mountain zip-lining experience.
- 1 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 2 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 3 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 4 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 6 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre