M11 reopens after burst water main near Cambridge
- Credit: Archant
One lane of the M11 northbound has now be reopened between junctions 12 and 14 after flooding from a burst water main closed the carriageway near Cambridge, causing long delays this morning.
Highways England tweeted at 5.42am to say it had received reports of surface water on the motorway between Junction 12 for the A603 and Junction 13 for the A1303, near Cambridge.
Cambridge Water engineers and Highways England contractors attended the scene, and have been working to resolve the issue as soon as possible.
Highways England have now tweeted from their @HighwaysEAST account: “#M11 north NOW OPEN between J12 (#A603) and J14 (#A14 #Girton) nr #Cambridge after a burst water main and flooding earlier. @Cambswater have shut off main and water cleared enough to allow road to reopen. 1 lane (of 2) remains closed whilst remaining water is cleared.”
A diversion was put in place this morning, via the A603 through Barton and New Wimpole to the roundabout with the A1198, where you will need to take the A1198 to Caxton Gibbet.
You may also want to watch:
Depending on your destination, motorist were asked to continue on the A1198 to the A14 at J24 or take the A428, continue through the Girton Interchange and exit at the Histon Interchange (B1049) and U-turn to join the A14 and rejoin the M11 north at the Girton Interchange to access the A14 west.
- 1 Results in for South Cambs District Council by-election
- 2 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 3 Hospital reopens all operating theatres as waiting lists get longer
- 4 Royston Picture Palace announces cinema's planned reopening date
- 5 Promising Young Woman review: Carey Mulligan shines in Emerald Fennell's outstanding movie
- 6 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 7 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 8 Steve Count 'no doubt' Tories will review 'our performance' as his future is decided
- 9 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate
- 10 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone