Lone women approached by van driver in Bassingbourn and Litlington
- Credit: Archant
Police are warning people to refrain from wearing headphones when walking alone after three reports of women being approached by a van driver in Bassingbourn and Litlington.
The incidents occurred between Thursday, January 7, and Wednesday, January 13, and police are trying to establish if they relate to the same individual.
PCSO Samuel Kennedy said: “We recommend that when walking alone, you should refrain from wearing headphones or, at the very least, ensure that only one is used. This increases awareness of your surroundings and reduces the likelihood of being surprised by the sudden appearance of a vehicle near to you.
“Clearly there are many delivery vans travelling through these villages on a daily basis and drivers may stop and genuinely ask for directions as part of this activity. We are comfortable with such encounters and do not need to know of such incidents.
“However, if such an encounter is motivated by any other reason – particularly if it leaves the pedestrian uncomfortable or alarmed by what has been said to them – we would ask that it is reported to us immediately.”
You may also want to watch:
If your level of concern is high, call 999. Under other circumstances, or to report an historic incident of this nature, contact police on 101 and quote IF160100027.
- 1 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 2 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 3 County council offices could be sold off or leased in part
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Trial date changed for killer of children's author accused of wife's murder
- 6 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 7 Wonder Woman flies into IWM Duxford for movie scenes
- 8 Hare coursers damaged farmer's crops in escape bid
- 9 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 10 Herts covered in blanket of snow as flurries fell on Sunday