Lone women approached by van driver in Bassingbourn and Litlington
- Credit: Archant
Police are warning people to refrain from wearing headphones when walking alone after three reports of women being approached by a van driver in Bassingbourn and Litlington.
The incidents occurred between Thursday, January 7, and Wednesday, January 13, and police are trying to establish if they relate to the same individual.
PCSO Samuel Kennedy said: “We recommend that when walking alone, you should refrain from wearing headphones or, at the very least, ensure that only one is used. This increases awareness of your surroundings and reduces the likelihood of being surprised by the sudden appearance of a vehicle near to you.
“Clearly there are many delivery vans travelling through these villages on a daily basis and drivers may stop and genuinely ask for directions as part of this activity. We are comfortable with such encounters and do not need to know of such incidents.
“However, if such an encounter is motivated by any other reason – particularly if it leaves the pedestrian uncomfortable or alarmed by what has been said to them – we would ask that it is reported to us immediately.”
You may also want to watch:
If your level of concern is high, call 999. Under other circumstances, or to report an historic incident of this nature, contact police on 101 and quote IF160100027.
- 1 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall
- 2 Let's go fly a kite as annual festival is set to return
- 3 Parish councils react to High Court decision that councils must meet in person
- 4 How many children are living in poverty in North Herts?
- 5 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate
- 6 Walkers put their best foot forward for floating hospital
- 7 Who is standing in Royston Town Council Meridian ward election?
- 8 Melbourn ward by-election 2021: Who are the candidates?
- 9 'Dawning of a new era' as Melbourn Community Hub prepares to reopen
- 10 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys visits Cambridge on BBC Two this week