Local election 2017: Seats to be contested for Cambs County Council, Herts County Council and new mayoral role
- Credit: Archant
County council seats across Herts and Cambs are up for election on Thursday next week.
The seats for county councillors representing the two Royston divisions, will be contested as part of Herts County Council’s four-yearly cycle of polls.
• Royston East and Ermine Division
Karen Harmel (Green); Fiona Hill (Con); Mark Hughes (Ind); Hugh David Parker (Lib Dem); John Ivor Rees (Lab).
• Royston West and Rural Division
You may also want to watch:
Christoper Arquati (UKIP); Dean Lee Cartwright (Green); Kenneth Garland (Lab); Tony Hunter (Con); Steve Jarvis (Lib Dem).
Also in Royston there will be by-elections for two seats, on the town council, and district council.
- 1 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 2 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 3 Pre-school plots Pyjamarama fundraising day for book charity
- 4 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 5 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 6 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 7 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys visits Cambridge on BBC Two this week
- 8 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 9 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 10 Missing teen found safe and well
The district council vote comes after long-standing Heath Ward councillor Peter Burt sadly died earlier this year.
• Royston Town Council – Royston Town Heath
Christoper Arquati (Ind); Ruth Gillian Brown (Lib Dems); Robin Anthony King (Lab); Marguerite Phillips (Con).
• North Herts District Council – Royston Heath
Christopher Arquati (UKIP); Sarah Anne Dingley (Con); Katherine Marie Shann (Green); Carol Ann Stanier (Lib Dems); Vaughan West (Lab).
Across the border, the Cambs County council seats for some of our South Cambs villages have been affected by the boundary changes brought about by the Local Government Boundary Commission last year.
Foxton, Shepreth, Heydon and Great and Little Chishill will join with Fowlmere, Thriplow, Duxford, Pampisford, Whittlesford, Ickleton and Hinxton to form the new Duxford Division.
Meldreth, Melbourn, Whaddon and Bassingbourn are to form the new Melbourn and Bassingbourn Division.
• Duxford Division
Matthew James Barton (Green); Peter John McDonald (Lib Dems); Jackie Scott (Lab); Peter Topping (Con).
• Melbourn and Bassingbourn Division
Chris Coleridge (Lab); Adrian Dent (UKIP); Joshua Charles Huntingfield (Con); Simon Peter Saggers (Green), Susan van de Ven (Lib Dems).
This year there will also be a mayoral election for the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority on the same day.
The candidates are:
Paul Bullen (UKIP); Rod Cantrill (Lib Dems); Peter Dawe (Ind); Stephen Goldspink (Eng Dem); Julie Howell (Green): James Palmer (Con), Kevin Price (Lab)