Lead stolen from Therfield church roof
- Credit: Archant
About 70sqm of lead was stolen from the roof of a historic church in Therfield.
Between 10pm last Thursday, and 7am the following day, the lead was stolen from the roof of St Mary’s Church in Church Lane.
PC Mike Hardiman, who is investigating, said: “The offender(s) have caused substantial damage not only to the roof of the church but also in gaining access to this historic place of worship. It is estimated that thousands of pounds worth of damage has been caused. As well as the lead being taken, water damage was caused by rain following the theft.
“Heritage crime of this nature is deplorable. A church is not only a place of holy worship but is often an ancient building of significant local historic interest.
“Crimes of this nature affect the whole community and it is the community I look to for help to protect our heritage by keeping an eye on our historic sites and report anything suspicious to the police.”
You may also want to watch:
Officers believe the offender(s) used ladders and a vehicle to transport the lead and are appealing for anyone who saw anything suspicious at the church around the times stated, or in the weeks leading up to the theft, to contact them on 101, quoting crime reference number G4/16/585. You can also give information anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or through their anonymous online form at www.crimestoppers-uk.org.
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 4 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 5 College chapel goes green to raise awareness of rare condition
- 6 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 7 Dial M for an interesting look at the macabre
- 8 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 10 Award-winning jazz singer Clare Teal and her sextet to play concert at Cambridge Arts Theatre