Lava-ly way for Karen to help cancer charity
A MUM-of-three who is recovering from breast cancer is set to trek across Iceland to raise money for the charity which helped her. Karen Hoyle of Therfield will spend five days making her way across the lava fields in July for Breakthrough Breast Cancer.
A MUM-of-three who is recovering from breast cancer is set to trek across Iceland to raise money for the charity which helped her.
Karen Hoyle of Therfield will spend five days making her way across the lava fields in July for Breakthrough Breast Cancer.
"I'm just in recovery and wanted to give something back to those who helped me," she said.
Karen, 44, was diagnosed last April, and has had surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
"It was quite tough," she said. "But I'm excited about this challenge as I used to run a lot, but obviously had to take a year off as my treatment was quite debilitating.
"Now I'm back training and just getting into it which is great. So there were two incentives really - to get fit and to raise money."
- 1 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 2 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 3 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 4 MP hosts gathering for Ukrainian refugees
- 5 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 6 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 7 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 8 Men's health champion receives funding boost from Ashwell Masonic Lodge
- 9 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 10 20 Ukrainian medical students begin placements at Addenbrooke’s
Karen, who is taking part in the challenge with a friend, will trek 25km-a-day and spend the night sleeping under the stars.
She said: "My children are excited for me because they have had to deal with everything that happened last year, so it's been quite tough for them."
Karen has already raised £1,500, but is looking for more sponsorship. Anyone who would like to sponsor her, should e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org