Lava-ly way for Karen to help cancer charity
A MUM-of-three who is recovering from breast cancer is set to trek across Iceland to raise money for the charity which helped her. Karen Hoyle of Therfield will spend five days making her way across the lava fields in July for Breakthrough Breast Cancer.
A MUM-of-three who is recovering from breast cancer is set to trek across Iceland to raise money for the charity which helped her.
Karen Hoyle of Therfield will spend five days making her way across the lava fields in July for Breakthrough Breast Cancer.
"I'm just in recovery and wanted to give something back to those who helped me," she said.
Karen, 44, was diagnosed last April, and has had surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
You may also want to watch:
"It was quite tough," she said. "But I'm excited about this challenge as I used to run a lot, but obviously had to take a year off as my treatment was quite debilitating.
"Now I'm back training and just getting into it which is great. So there were two incentives really - to get fit and to raise money."
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 3 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 5 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 6 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 7 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 10 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
Karen, who is taking part in the challenge with a friend, will trek 25km-a-day and spend the night sleeping under the stars.
She said: "My children are excited for me because they have had to deal with everything that happened last year, so it's been quite tough for them."
Karen has already raised £1,500, but is looking for more sponsorship. Anyone who would like to sponsor her, should e-mail her at email@example.com