Landlord plans re-opening pub as soon as possible’
OWNERS of the Fox and Hounds pub in Barley hope to re-open as soon as possible after a fire. The fire started in a chimney and caused substantial damage to the bar area. Pub landlord Aaron Clayton said: We have an ingle-nook fire place, and the fire-figh
OWNERS of the Fox and Hounds pub in Barley hope to re-open as soon as possible after a fire.
The fire started in a chimney and caused substantial damage to the bar area.
Pub landlord Aaron Clayton said: "We have an ingle-nook fire place, and the fire-fighters told us that the fire was caused by ash dropping through on to the floor.
"It's gutted the front bar, but fortunately, most of the damage has been restricted to that area. We will have to be closed for some time."
Fire crews were called just before 6am on Sunday.
The fire was out by 7.37am, but crews remained until 1.30pm to dampen down.
- 1 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 2 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 6 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 7 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 8 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 9 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 10 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
No one was injured in the incident.
"A lot of local residents have been supportive, and we don't want them to be without their village pub for too long," said Mr Clayton.