Kung Fu master from Royston publishes book on Chin Woo Kung Fu
- Credit: Archant
A KUNG FU master has written a book examining the legends and facts behind one of the world’s largest martial arts groups.
Glen Stanway, who runs the GMax Kung Fu and Kickboxing Academy in Royston, has penned Fearless: The Story of Chin Woo Kung Fu, which explores the legend of the founding master of the Chin Woo Kung Fu School, Huo Yuanjia. A national hero in China, his name translates to English as “Fearless”.
Mr Stanway said:, “I get asked all the time about the origins and history of kung fu, not only from my students, but also from people who may not be interested in learning a martial art itself, but who are curious as to what it is I teach and perform.
“I’ve trained at and visited Chin Woo schools in Hong Kong, Singapore, and all over Malaysia. I ended up collecting a lot of historical information about Chin Woo over the years, but had never consolidated it”.
The book explains how Chin Woo revolutionised martial arts at the turn of the twentieth century, using modern training methods, now taken for granted by today’s martial arts clubs and associations, and reveals that film star Bruce Lee briefly trained with the group while preparing to make a movie.
You may also want to watch:
“What the Chin Woo masters were teaching in Shanghai in 1910, is just as relevant today in my Royston lessons in 2013,” said Mr Stanway.
Fearless: The Story of Chin Woo Kung Fu, is available to buy in paperback and Kindle via the links on the GMax website, www.gmax.me.uk.
- 1 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 4 Stunning snap causes stir online
- 5 Nuthampstead Olympic Shooter takes bronze in Tokyo
- 6 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 7 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 8 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 9 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 10 Huge splash of support for Meldreth diver Dan Goodfellow