Kittens abandoned as owners head off on holiday
- Credit: Archant
A LITTER of frightened, seven-week-old kittens have been abandoned so their owners could go on their summer holiday.
The five kittens were handed in at Wood Green’s Heydon shelter last week as their owners were going away and were unable to care for them. Staff said the siblings were “nervous and frightened”, but have now started to settle into life at the shelter, on Chishill Road.
Wood Green has issued a warning to people to consider their pets before booking holidays.
Neil Kendall, an animal rehomer at the shelter, said: “This is not the first and won’t be the last call we take from people wanting to give up their pets because there is no one to look after them while they enjoy their summer holiday.
“You wouldn’t go on holiday without booking your hotel so don’t forget to book your pets their own accommodation.
You may also want to watch:
“There are plenty of reputable catteries, kennels and even pet sitters out there to choose from. If you are on a budget then why not consider asking another family member or a friend to help out.”
The quintet have been named Elmo, Hattie, Chewie, Lottie and Bobby, and will stay at the shelter until they are old enough to be rehomed.
- 1 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 2 Trial date changed for killer of children's author accused of wife's murder
- 3 Hare coursers damaged farmer's crops in escape bid
- 4 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 5 The bells are back in town!
- 6 NHS Trust says vaccine figures offer hope as 40 per cent of Lister's patients have COVID-19
- 7 Number of COVID patients in Herts hospitals falls slightly
- 8 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 9 More people in Herts have been vaccinated than have had COVID-19
- 10 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
Mr Kendall said: “While we would all like to get away for some fun in the sun this year, it is no reason to give up your furry friend.
“No matter how good your getaway is, once the tan has faded, life will be a lot lonelier without your companion by your side.”
For further information about rehoming a cat or kitten from Wood Green visit www.woodgreen.org.uk.