Kittens abandoned as owners head off on holiday
- Credit: Archant
A LITTER of frightened, seven-week-old kittens have been abandoned so their owners could go on their summer holiday.
The five kittens were handed in at Wood Green’s Heydon shelter last week as their owners were going away and were unable to care for them. Staff said the siblings were “nervous and frightened”, but have now started to settle into life at the shelter, on Chishill Road.
Wood Green has issued a warning to people to consider their pets before booking holidays.
Neil Kendall, an animal rehomer at the shelter, said: “This is not the first and won’t be the last call we take from people wanting to give up their pets because there is no one to look after them while they enjoy their summer holiday.
“You wouldn’t go on holiday without booking your hotel so don’t forget to book your pets their own accommodation.
You may also want to watch:
“There are plenty of reputable catteries, kennels and even pet sitters out there to choose from. If you are on a budget then why not consider asking another family member or a friend to help out.”
The quintet have been named Elmo, Hattie, Chewie, Lottie and Bobby, and will stay at the shelter until they are old enough to be rehomed.
- 1 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 2 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 3 Second Gladman planning application for fields near Therfield Heath rejected
- 4 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 5 'It's such a relief' - Shops, pubs and more reopen as lockdown eases
- 6 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 7 Consultation on East West Rail route opens
- 8 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 9 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
- 10 'We have a huge task on our hands, but The Pheasant will fly again'
Mr Kendall said: “While we would all like to get away for some fun in the sun this year, it is no reason to give up your furry friend.
“No matter how good your getaway is, once the tan has faded, life will be a lot lonelier without your companion by your side.”
For further information about rehoming a cat or kitten from Wood Green visit www.woodgreen.org.uk.