Keep your bikes safe
CYCLISTS are being warned about bike safety after 1,767 machines were reported stolen in Herts in a 12-month period. But police said there was a drop of bike thefts in the eastern area – which covers Royston and Buntingford – over a period from April last
CYCLISTS are being warned about bike safety after 1,767 machines were reported stolen in Herts in a 12-month period.
But police said there was a drop of bike thefts in the eastern area - which covers Royston and Buntingford - over a period from April last year to April 2006.
In the eastern area the number of bike thefts reported was 699 compared with the previous figure of 724. Figures for North Herts showed 195 bike thefts and in East Herts 173.
Roy Aldwin, manager of the county community safety unit, said it was "disappointing" to see an increase overall in bike thefts. He said that many of the thefts could be avoided.
"It surprises me that so many owners do not think about security," said Mr Aldwin.
- 1 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 2 Motorist charged with careless driving after motorcyclist injured in crash
- 3 E-fit image of indecent exposure suspect released by police
- 4 Concerns raised as Royston patients travel for booster jabs
- 5 Christmas at Wimpole illuminated trail sparks into life as countdown begins
- 6 Entrepreneur shortlisted for award after setting up business while managing chronic illness
- 7 Metal detectorist, 13, explains how she discovered Bronze Age hoards near Royston
- 8 'It was great to see the whole town get in the spirit of Christmas'
- 9 Room at the inn for 1,000-mile charity trekker
- 10 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam