Keep your bikes safe
CYCLISTS are being warned about bike safety after 1,767 machines were reported stolen in Herts in a 12-month period. But police said there was a drop of bike thefts in the eastern area – which covers Royston and Buntingford – over a period from April last
CYCLISTS are being warned about bike safety after 1,767 machines were reported stolen in Herts in a 12-month period.
But police said there was a drop of bike thefts in the eastern area - which covers Royston and Buntingford - over a period from April last year to April 2006.
In the eastern area the number of bike thefts reported was 699 compared with the previous figure of 724. Figures for North Herts showed 195 bike thefts and in East Herts 173.
Roy Aldwin, manager of the county community safety unit, said it was "disappointing" to see an increase overall in bike thefts. He said that many of the thefts could be avoided.
You may also want to watch:
"It surprises me that so many owners do not think about security," said Mr Aldwin.
- 1 Results in for South Cambs District Council by-election
- 2 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 3 Hospital reopens all operating theatres as waiting lists get longer
- 4 Royston Picture Palace announces cinema's planned reopening date
- 5 Promising Young Woman review: Carey Mulligan shines in Emerald Fennell's outstanding movie
- 6 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 7 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 8 Steve Count 'no doubt' Tories will review 'our performance' as his future is decided
- 9 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate
- 10 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone