Keeley, 5, chops off knee length hair for charity
A YOUNG girl with Down’s syndrome has cut her waist-length hair and donated it to a children’s cancer charity.
Keeley Thomas, who lives in Sawston but is originally from Melbourn, cut her hair to give to the Little Princess Trust, which will now have it made into a wig. Her feat has also raised �1,400 for charity.
The five-year-old had her hair cut by Emma Taylor at Archer & Co in Royston yesterday evening (Wednesday), in front of family and friends.
“Her hair was getting quite long and unmanageable, so I thought, rather than just getting three or four inches cut off, we could get more of it chopped and raise some money for a good cause. It would have been such a shame to waste it,” said mum Lindy.
“It was down to her knees, about 30 inches long, which is a lot for a five-year-old.”
You may also want to watch:
Keeley split half the money raised between the Down’s Syndrome Association and Opportunities Without Limits, getting sponsorship from local companies and selling raffle tickets.
Her feat coincided with World Down Syndrome Day, which aims to raise awareness of the condition.
- 1 Ofcom investigation into problem key fobs at Tesco Royston concludes
- 2 Fire-hit parish church secures vital cash boost
- 3 Pupils to return to school as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 Pupils become journalists for class topic
- 5 North Hertfordshire's inspirational volunteers recognised in awards
- 6 Grandmother who got on a motorcycle aged 105 passes away
- 7 Nearly a million trees planted alongside A14 die and need replacing
- 8 COVID deaths fall by 50% in Herts hospitals
- 9 Publish and be damned: 'farmgate' report goes to the vote
- 10 Man to face court after admitting to £15,000 cigarette stealing spree
“We thought it would be a good idea to hold it on the same day to mark the occasion,” added Lindy.
“She knows that she’s giving the hair to poorly girls who have no hair, and I think she’s pleased about that.”
Star Radio presenter Ryan Taylor also had his hair shaved by Keeley, after agreeing to do so if she raised more than �1,000.
To find out how to sponsor Keeley, search ‘KEELEYS SPONSORED HAIRCUT AND RAFFLE’ in Facebook.