Keeley, 5, chops off knee length hair for charity
A YOUNG girl with Down’s syndrome has cut her waist-length hair and donated it to a children’s cancer charity.
Keeley Thomas, who lives in Sawston but is originally from Melbourn, cut her hair to give to the Little Princess Trust, which will now have it made into a wig. Her feat has also raised �1,400 for charity.
The five-year-old had her hair cut by Emma Taylor at Archer & Co in Royston yesterday evening (Wednesday), in front of family and friends.
“Her hair was getting quite long and unmanageable, so I thought, rather than just getting three or four inches cut off, we could get more of it chopped and raise some money for a good cause. It would have been such a shame to waste it,” said mum Lindy.
“It was down to her knees, about 30 inches long, which is a lot for a five-year-old.”
You may also want to watch:
Keeley split half the money raised between the Down’s Syndrome Association and Opportunities Without Limits, getting sponsorship from local companies and selling raffle tickets.
Her feat coincided with World Down Syndrome Day, which aims to raise awareness of the condition.
- 1 New boxing and Muay Thai classes aim to help boost post-lockdown mood
- 2 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 3 Royston chairman: RNLI volunteers never question or criticise - they save lives
- 4 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 5 New president takes over at Rotary Club
- 6 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
- 7 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 8 Community comes together for Together We Stand Against Racism event
- 9 No business like shire business for Cambridge college
- 10 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
“We thought it would be a good idea to hold it on the same day to mark the occasion,” added Lindy.
“She knows that she’s giving the hair to poorly girls who have no hair, and I think she’s pleased about that.”
Star Radio presenter Ryan Taylor also had his hair shaved by Keeley, after agreeing to do so if she raised more than �1,000.
To find out how to sponsor Keeley, search ‘KEELEYS SPONSORED HAIRCUT AND RAFFLE’ in Facebook.