Just the ticket for parking scheme
FREE parking is now available to those who visit Royston due to a new parking refund scheme. The scheme, which is hoped to encourage more people to shop in the town centre, was launched on Tuesday. And there are already 18 shops involved. Mike Gowen, orga
FREE parking is now available to those who visit Royston due to a new parking refund scheme.
The scheme, which is hoped to encourage more people to shop in the town centre, was launched on Tuesday.
And there are already 18 shops involved.
Mike Gowen, organiser of the system and owner of the Stationery Cupboard in the High Street, said: "We want to encourage more people to come into the town and make it easier for people to come shopping.
You may also want to watch:
"The goal is to make it easier for people to park."
Although there is no signage on them, all parking machines in Royston will issue a double ticket with a tear off portion, with the exception of Somerfield, which will continue to run its own scheme.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 6 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 7 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 8 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 9 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 10 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
Customers can then use the ticket to claim back their first hour of parking by spending £10 in any of the participating shops.
Shoppers will be able to see which retailers are participating as they will display a Parking Refund sign.
Mr Gowen, who organised the new system along with the Royston & District Chamber of Commerce and with the help of the Royston Town Centre Forum and North Herts District Council, said: "We are keen to see more retailers become involved in the scheme.
"The more that join the better."
Other changes are due to made in the town centre this month to make parking easier with the removal of all but two of the loading bay areas. These will be replaced by 20 minute parking bays.
* Any retailers wishing to join the parking refund scheme can call Mike Gowen at the Stationery Cupboard on 01763 249997.
The shops in the scheme
* Angels & Rascals
* Beautiful Balloons
* Cambridge Wine Merchants
* Coffee Corner
* Fashion Flooring
* Keith Gordon Jeweller
* Marie Curie
* Merlin Mica Hardware (already offering a first-hour parking refund)
* Monaco Couture
* Premier Travel
* Somerfield (already offering a first hour parking refund)
* Stationery Cupboard
* Wisdom Carpets
* Shop-in-the Corner