‘Jo Cox would have delighted in opening a similar event’: South Cambs MP speaks of Melbourn Fete success
- Credit: Archant
Melbourn Fete ‘made the community proud, with something for everyone’, says South Cambs MP Heidi Allen.
The event on Saturday was opened by the MP and featured music, classic cars, a raffle, food and bar.
There were also stalls, a tea shop and competitions, and everything from a Prosecco stand to egg throwing and prizes for home cooking and art.
Heidi said: “There was quite literally something for everyone.
“There was of course a sense of sadness as I know Jo Cox MP – who died last Thursday – would have delighted in opening a similar event in her constituency too.
You may also want to watch:
“Close communities are the linchpins of our society, through good times and bad.”
- 1 MP calls for illegal parking clamp-down, as council makes civil enforcement plans
- 2 Police force welcomes plans for council to tackle parking woes
- 3 Sunset Starlight Walk returning after year of cancelled events for hospice
- 4 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 5 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 6 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 8 Pre-school plots Pyjamarama fundraising day for book charity
- 9 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 10 Film review: Oscar-winning Nomadland is a 'beautifully realised and affecting drama'