Jane’s run in the park
FOURTEEN weeks of hard work for a Melbourn woman will culminate on Sunday when she takes part in her first half marathon.
Jane Leach, 42, will be participating in the Royal Parks Half Marathon, which encompasses four parks in the centre of London, in aid of Great Ormond Street children’s hospital.
Prior to beginning her training, the mum of two was, by her own admission, doing very little exercise.
She said: “I was fed up of my children watching television most of the time, so I decided to lead by example and enter the half marathon.
“I know a few families in the village who have used Great Ormond Street, and I know what a great job they do.”
You may also want to watch:
Following a strict training plan, Jane started off jogging for a minute each day, and has progressed to the point where she can maintain her pace for the duration of the half marathon.
“At first I felt like I was going to die, but you just have to have a good training programme and stick to it,” she said.
- 1 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 2 What’s on at community cinema Royston Picture Palace this summer
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 5 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
- 6 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 7 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 8 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 9 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 10 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
And her efforts have inspired her daughters, Lucy, 13, and Katie, 11, to join in, and they will be entering the Pulse3K, which is the last three kilometres of the run.
“The girls trained with me during the summer holidays, and I think they already notice the benefits when playing netball at school,” said Jane.
To sponsor the trio, log on to www.justgiving.com/jane-leach13-1.