IWM Duxford reunites former pilot with enemy aircraft he downed more than 60 years ago ahead of Battle of Britain show
- Credit: Clive Porter
Ahead of this weekend’s Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show, veteran pilot Brian ‘Schmoo’ Ellis has been reuinted with the type of enemy aircraft he downed more than 60 years ago.
Making an appearance at IWM Duxford on Monday, Mr Ellis recalled the scenario that led to him shooting down a MiG-15 jet fighter in the Korean War in 1952.
He said: “There were eight of them and just four of us. He made an error in his speed and dropped into my gyro gunsight.
“I repeatedly fired on him until he started to smoke.”
Until now, Mr Ellis has only ever seen a MiG-15 jet fighter in combat through the gun sight of an 802 Naval Air Squadron Sea Fury FB11 fighter aircraft.
You may also want to watch:
He added: ”To coin a modern phrase, I have found it quite awesome being here with the two types of planes that I was involved with. It’s very emotional to witness a Sea Fury once again.
“What a privilege it was to spend your days flying these aircraft. I used to live in these things every day.”
The Battle of Britain Air Show takes place today and tomorrow, go to www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford for more information.
- 1 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 2 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 3 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 5 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 6 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
- 7 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 8 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 9 Group of mums and dad in wig go the distance for wheelchair charity
- 10 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals