IWM Duxford reunites former pilot with enemy aircraft he downed more than 60 years ago ahead of Battle of Britain show
- Credit: Clive Porter
Ahead of this weekend’s Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show, veteran pilot Brian ‘Schmoo’ Ellis has been reuinted with the type of enemy aircraft he downed more than 60 years ago.
Making an appearance at IWM Duxford on Monday, Mr Ellis recalled the scenario that led to him shooting down a MiG-15 jet fighter in the Korean War in 1952.
He said: “There were eight of them and just four of us. He made an error in his speed and dropped into my gyro gunsight.
“I repeatedly fired on him until he started to smoke.”
Until now, Mr Ellis has only ever seen a MiG-15 jet fighter in combat through the gun sight of an 802 Naval Air Squadron Sea Fury FB11 fighter aircraft.
You may also want to watch:
He added: ”To coin a modern phrase, I have found it quite awesome being here with the two types of planes that I was involved with. It’s very emotional to witness a Sea Fury once again.
“What a privilege it was to spend your days flying these aircraft. I used to live in these things every day.”
The Battle of Britain Air Show takes place today and tomorrow, go to www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford for more information.
- 1 Pre-school plots Pyjamarama fundraising day for book charity
- 2 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 3 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 4 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 5 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 6 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 7 Missing teen found safe and well
- 8 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys visits Cambridge on BBC Two this week
- 9 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 10 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab