IWM Duxford pays flying tribute with Victory in Europe Day air show
- Credit: Archant
Imperial War Museum Duxford is commemorating the 70th anniversary of Victory in Europe Day with an air show and an exhibition delving into the reality of the landmark occasion.
The VE Day Anniversary Air Show – which takes place on May 23 and May 24 – pays tribute to the men, women and children who endured six years of conflict on the fighting fronts and the home front during the Second World War.
RAF Duxford was home to the 78th Fighter Group of the United States Army Air Forces when Victory in Europe was announced on May 8, 1945.
A report from the 78th Fighter Group reads: “About 10am on May 7, 1945, the Tannoy broadcast the news that Germany had capitulated.
“It didn’t cause much excitement. There were a few self-conscious whoops, but for the most part, work wasn’t even interrupted.
You may also want to watch:
“However, using VE Day as an excuse, work was suspended as of noon on the seventh until the morning of the tenth.
“All aeroplanes were grounded. The bars were opened and the beer began to flow.
- 1 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 2 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 3 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 5 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
- 6 'Community campaigns are making an impact, so have your say on rail link'
- 7 Consultation on East West Rail route opens
- 8 Man who climbed on Tesco freezer jailed for string of offences
- 9 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 10 'We have a huge task on our hands, but The Pheasant will fly again'
“The real celebration didn’t get underway until the next day. All personnel were restricted to base and that evening the post orchestra held a short concert on the parade ground, preceded, interrupted and followed by alcoholic beverages.
“The next morning an unhappy group of officers and men paraded their hangovers past the colonel in a formal VE Day review.
“After lunch the more hardy souls went back to their celebrating and the others went back to the ‘sack’ and Victory in Europe was history.”
Tickets are available online at www.iwm.org.uk/duxford.