‘It will make cycling and walking in the area much safer’ – New cycle path from Shepreth to Melbourn unveiled at opening ceremony
- Credit: Clive Porter
Cyclists saddled up to celebrate the opening of the new section of cycle path from Frog End in Shepreth to Melbourn Science Park last week.
There was a ribbon-cutting ceremony followed by a 1.5-mile ride along the new path, refreshments were donated by the nearby Wyevale Garden Centre.
The new path is a result for the A10 Corridor Cycle campaigners, who started up in January 2013 in a bid to secure a safe cycle route from Royston to Cambridge. The £500,000 path was delivered by the Cambridge City Deal team.
Board member Ian Bates said: “The project was delivered on time, and on budget and It will make cycling and walking in the area so much safer.
“We are likely to witness more children being able to travel much more safely. The cycle way will become a popular route, particularly as it travels over flat terrain.
You may also want to watch:
“It is all part of the jigsaw being put together across South Cambs. The evidence is that the public want aids to enable them to get to work more safely. Take, for example, the Guided Bus Way, which has been a resounding success. We are very pleased with local reaction”.
The campaigners’ attention now turns to securing funding for a Melbourn to Royston path and bridge over the A505, and they are working closely together with Herts councils and businesses.
For more on the campaign see www.a10corridorcycle.com
- 1 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 2 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 3 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 4 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 5 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 6 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 7 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 8 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 9 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange