‘It was the biggest event yet’ – Record fundraising total at Steam at the Hoops in Bassingbourn
- Credit: Clive Porter
Crowds were out in force for Bassingbourn’s fourth Steam at the Hoops event at the weekend.
The fundraiser, which sees steam engines from far and wide roll into the village, was hosted by landlord Russell Woolaston.
He said: “It was the biggest event yet, we had the largest number of exhibitors and we’ve raised £2,400 – double our previous highest total.”
Steam engine enthusiast Clive Flack helped organise the spectacle.
Mr Flack added: “Engine owners drive considerable miles to contribute to this gathering.
You may also want to watch:
“All the proceeds from the day are ploughed into organising a day out for the village pensioners, and other local worthy causes.
“From a small gathering and one steam roller in 2013, the event is becoming larger and more popular each year.”
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 6 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 7 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Hallmark Trophy decided in close-run contest at Heydon Grange Golf Club
- 10 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
As well as the steam engines, there was a barbecue and an auction with prizes donated from businesses.
Thanks to its continued success, Mr Woolaston confirmed the event would go ahead next year.