‘It’s disgusting that so much has been left in our beautiful town’ – Royston group bag up 11kg of dog poo on first patrol
- Credit: Sally Marchant
The three women who created a Facebook group encouraging people to clean up their dog’s poo have bagged up 11kg of the stuff during their first patrol – and said it was ‘disgusting that so much had been left in the beautiful town’.
Amber Godfrey, Sally Marchant and Lily Clark are the team behind Royston’s Dog Poo Patrol group, and headed out to Therfield Heath on Saturday for their inaugural walk to help clean up the area.
Lily, who runs Suppawt dog training school, told the Crow: “We were really surprised at how much we picked up in such a small distance.
“We also picked up lots of bagged poos which had been thrown into a nearby hedge.
“We felt quite proud that we were able to pick up so much – and even the rugby players on the heath complimented us – but I suppose we also felt quite disgusted that the problem was worse than we had originally thought.”
You may also want to watch:
The group hope their patrolling will encourage people to pick up their dog muck and be responsible, and they will report those who they aren’t doing so.
“A lady just let her dog poo not far in front of us and not pick it up so we took photos and are now in the process of dealing with it,” Amber said.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 8 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 9 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 10 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
“Anyone caught will be offered a poo bag, but if they keep offending we will report them. With more people we can pick more poo and hopefully the word will spread what we are actually doing and more people will become wary about leaving their dog’s poo.
“It was disgusting there was so much on a beautiful part of Royston – one that we are very lucky to have access to. The next hit is the BMX track as there is lots up there too.”
Conservators of Therfield Heath clerk David Smith said: “We are absolutely delighted with their attitude – it’s amazing that they’ve gone out to do this and 11kg of dog poo is astounding. It’s about the size of a small child out playing rugby, and it’s those children who are at risk.
“Its a wonderful piece of civic pride in the town.”
The group hopes people will continue to join them out for just an hour of their time to continue their mission to deter people from not picking up after their pooches.
Their next patrol is on Sunday from 11am to 12pm at Royston BMX park in Burns Road.
Search ‘Royston’s dog poo patrol’ on Facebook for more.