It’s a disgrace’
BUNTINGFORD High Street has been left to deteriorate for the past 16 years – and it is a disgrace says a town councillor. Councillor Pat Whittaker says East Herts District Council has a duty to do something when residents in the town are among the highe
BUNTINGFORD High Street has been left to deteriorate for the past 16 years - and it is 'a disgrace' says a town councillor.
Councillor Pat Whittaker says East Herts District Council has a duty to do something when residents in the town are among the highest Council Tax payers.
"People are paying out for the High Street as part of their community rates so they should get some return for it on things like the High Street," he said.
"The district council has a duty to do something after 16 years. We have waited long enough."
You may also want to watch:
He says railings, bollards, and street lights all need attention.
Cllr Whittaker said: "One of the bollards still has the undercoat which was painted on about two or three years ago.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 3 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 5 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 6 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 10 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
"The whole town is a disgrace. The only new addition to the High Street is a bench, donated by the youth council.
"At what stage is the district council going to say, it's gone too far?"
Resident Jackie Bolden, of Monks Walk, said: "The town could be greatly improved, but instead it's going downhill.
"The paving slabs in the High Street are appalling. When it rains there is a sea of puddles.
"We have to pay the highest Council Tax in East Herts, but we are just not getting anything for it."
A Herts Highways spokeswoman said: "There are currently no immediate plans for resurfacing Buntingford High Street.
"It may be something that is looked at in the future.
"We have the difficult task of prioritising schemes and making the most efficient use of limited resources.
"Buntingford High Street has not been prioritised this financial year.