Abington Pigotts equestrian star, 15, dies in horse riding accident
- Credit: Archant
An “exceptionally talented” teenage equestrian star sadly died in Abington Pigotts yesterday after falling from a horse.
Iona Sclater died in a horse riding accident at her home in the village on Sunday - the 15-year-old was a member of British Eventing and was a regular in sporting competitions.
An ambulance service spokesman said: "An ambulance, two Hazardous Area Response Team Vehicles, a rapid response vehicle and East Anglian Air Ambulance were called to Abington Pigotts shortly after 11.30am on Sunday, following reports of a child injured in a fall from a horse.
"Sadly, despite the best efforts of all involved, the girl died at the scene."
British Eventing has released a statement, which said: "British Eventing was devastated to receive the news that one of our young members and bright stars in the sport, Iona Sclater, sadly died in a riding accident at home on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
"Long-listed for the 2017 and 2019 European Championships for Ponies, Iona was an exceptionally talented and dedicated young event rider. In just five seasons competing with British Eventing, Iona amassed 33 top 10 results and represented the Eastern region four times at the Under 18 Regional Team Championships - 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
"Iona's impressive results this season, to secure her a place on the Pony European Championships long-list, include taking second place in the Pony Trial at Weston Park (1) and fourth in the Pony Trial at Lincolnshire Horse Trials in April, both on her pony Foxtown Cufflynx. Most recently Iona won the BE100u18 at Stratford Hills this June on Foxtown Cufflynx, and also claimed the win in the BE100 at Aston Le Walls (2) in May riding Machno Excalibur, along with the Open Novice Under 18 at Burnham Market International (1) in April with Janet Willis' Watermill Rocks.
- 1 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 2 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 3 County council elections round-up for North Herts
- 4 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 5 Local Election 2021 results: NHDC leader loses seat
- 6 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 7 Party leaders respond to election result in North Herts
- 8 Conservative David Lloyd re-elected as Herts Police and Crime Commissioner
- 9 Results in for South Cambs District Council by-election
- 10 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
"Our thoughts are with Iona's friends and family - her dad, Charles, mum, Hetty, and sisters Lara and Alicia - at this very difficult time."