International women’s cycling tour to visit Crow country
- Credit: Archant
The first women’s international cycling tour will be passing through Crow country in May.
The tour will take place over five stages between Wednesday, May 7, and Sunday, May 11, and is expected to pass through Buntingford and Cottered.
The new elite cycle race, which is the country’s first ever international women’s stage-race, will bring the world’s top riders to compete against Britain’s Olympic heroines.
Double Olympic gold medallist Laura Trott, who is competing for of the Wiggle Honda team in the race, said: “Having a UCI Women’s Tour in the UK is brilliant, but to have a stage starting in my home town of Cheshunt and then finishing in Welwyn Garden City where I started my cycling racing makes it even better. I think this will be a very special day for me, I just hope the other girls let me win!”
Cllr Lynda Needham, leader of North Herts District Council, said: “We’re excited that The Women’s Tour will be passing through North Herts. I hope that everyone will come out to support the cyclists and that the event will inspire our local residents to get out and about on their bikes.”
You may also want to watch:
Commenting on the announcement, Guy Elliott, of organisers SweetSpot Group, said: “We are very pleased to be able to announce the locations for The Women’s Tour and are delighted by the support we have received.
“With both Laura and Emma Trott from Hertfordshire, I am sure Stage Four will be extra special and draw out large crowds to cheer them on.”
- 1 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 2 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 3 COVID-19 outbreaks now in half of all Herts care homes
- 4 Storm Christoph: Prepare for flooding in South Cambs
- 5 Parents struggling with homeschooling to get boost from book donors
- 6 Power cut affects nearly 9,000 homes and businesses
- 7 COVID-19 figures falling in North Herts and South Cambs
- 8 Ambulance boss steps down after battling 'severe coronavirus'
- 9 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 10 Luton Airport flight path public consultation in final weeks