Inquest reveals overdose

PUBLISHED: 11:18 22 July 2010 | UPDATED: 11:47 22 July 2010




Royston man died in building site

Robert Green, who was 37, and of no fixed address, was found dead on a disused building site in April.

His body contained a mixture of heroin and methadone.

On that day he was just hours from a scheduled health visit with his GP.

He was discovered by a man who saw Mr Green’s body lying on the building site when he looked out of his window at around 5.30am.

Pc Steve Penhall went to the site at 7.05am and had to break through fencing to get in.

When paramedics arrived they pronounced Mr Green dead at the scene.

Near the body was a hut which contained a heater, a kettle, and desks.

Police suspect this was being used by Mr Green, as the site had been unused for work for three weeks.

A post mortem carried out by Dr Ravi Swamy showed no signs of any injuries that would have caused the death, but injection wounds were found on the body.

The injections had caused Mr Green’s central nervous system to be depressed, which led to a cardiac respiratory arrest.

Coroner Edward Thomas confirmed that Mr Green died from a drugs overdose, and said: “This was death by misadventure and I am satisfied that no one else caused the death.”

Friends of Mr Green, who was a landscape gardener, had said he looked well when he had visited them earlier.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Royston Crow. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Royston Crow