‘I could offer the region a strong, co-ordinated voice’ – South Cambs MP Heidi Allen puts her name forward for mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
- Credit: Archant
The MP for South Cambs has put herself forward for the Conservative nomination in the election of mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough in May 2017.
Heidi Allen has proposed to combine the mayoral role – which came about after all seven of the region’s councils and Local Enterprise Partnership voted for a new combined authority – with her duties as an MP.
The new authority will manage powers and significant funds, which will be devolved from central government and will be chaired by the new regional mayor.
Mrs Allen, who has represented the South Cambs constituency since 2015, has also proposed to give a significant proportion of the mayoral allowance to charity.
“There is no doubt Cambridgeshire is a fantastic place to live and work, but it needs a strategic and joined up approach to deal with the challenges it faces.” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“I am aware that although residents and businesses across the county recognise this, I also know many are worried this devolution deal will create another layer of bureaucracy.
“Because pressures on infrastructure and the affordability of housing are issues facing not only my constituency but the county as a whole, I believe I could offer the region a strong, co-ordinated voice.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 5 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 8 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
“As the Westminster representative for one of the highest growth areas in the devolution region, and being someone who has direct access to ministers and decision makers, I believe I am uniquely placed to fill the mayoral role.
“This is coupled with my experience in both the public and private sectors, as well as managing multi-million pound budgets.
“The position of mayor is not about party politics – it is about harnessing the wide range of skills, expertise and ideas that exist, regardless of political persuasion.
“It is about creating and protecting jobs, it’s about ensuring we have enough homes for people to live in and it’s about spending the budget in the best and most cost effective way. The role of mayor must always put the needs of the people of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough first.”