Housing developers “delighted” at approval
Fairview homes will continue to work on support for second site
AN OFFICIAL from a housing development company has said he is “delighted” at being given approval by Royston town council to build a controversial scheme.
The town council voted in favour of the development at Coombelands by Fairview Homes last week, which will feature 59 dwellings, flat blocks and car parking spaces.
The plans have been much disputed by residents of Coombelands, who claim the expected build up of traffic will cause road accidents.
John Baines, planning manager for Fairview Homes, said: “We are delighted that the town council felt we addressed its previous concerns on the site and voted in support of the application.
You may also want to watch:
“Following the meeting last August, we gave careful consideration to what we heard and believe that the revised scheme addresses the main concerns the council had. We are delighted to have its support.”
Last week, David Buckley, chairman of Coombelands Estate Residents Association, said that Fairview “hadn’t taken the residents into consideration,” and expressed fears over road safety.
- 1 Results in for South Cambs District Council by-election
- 2 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 3 Hospital reopens all operating theatres as waiting lists get longer
- 4 Royston Picture Palace announces cinema's planned reopening date
- 5 Promising Young Woman review: Carey Mulligan shines in Emerald Fennell's outstanding movie
- 6 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 7 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate
- 8 Steve Count 'no doubt' Tories will review 'our performance' as his future is decided
- 9 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 10 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
Meanwhile, Fairview has confirmed they will continue to work with authorities and representatives in order to finalise plans to build at another site.
Plans to develop 27 houses on the land between Thackeray Close and the A505 were dismissed by the council at the same meeting, but Fairview will continue to work with the Highways Authority, Emergency Services and the North Royston Action Group (NRAG), to reach a satisfactory solution.
The dismissal came despite what Fairview called “significant changes” to the concerns over site access and road safety.
“We recognise there is still concern over access to the Thackeray Close site, and we are in ongoing talks with both the Highways Authority and the Emergency Services to ensure we explore every potential avenue,” said Mr Baines.
“We also held a very positive meeting with representatives from NRAG, who recognised the changes made to the application, particularly the new route for construction traffic.
“We were very encouraged by the meetings held this week, and feel that the scheme has been improved by working closely with the community.”
North Herts District Council (NHDC) is expected to make a final decision on the plans on November 17.