History group gets £2,000 award for project
THE Meldreth Local History Group is championing its success after collecting an award worth £2,000. Ann Handscombe, one of the group s committee members, collected the Community Champions Award. Mrs Handscombe, of The High Street in Meldreth, said: We we
THE Meldreth Local History Group is championing its success after collecting an award worth £2,000.
Ann Handscombe, one of the group's committee members, collected the Community Champions Award.
Mrs Handscombe, of The High Street in Meldreth, said: "We were extremely lucky to win and the money has really helped."
The money will be used to provide much-needed equipment for the history group to help its research into the village.
You may also want to watch:
It will also be used to enable the group to record interviews, improve computer skills and continue to preserve village history by uploading images, oral history and records onto the Cambridgeshire County Council Archive website.
The group was set up in May after Mrs Handscombe was left old village records.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 5 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 7 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 8 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
She said: "Information, pictures and records were left by my mother-in-law.
"I started putting on exhibitions with old photos and other people started offering me records and pictures.
"I built up so much material I didn't know what to do with it so a few of us set about creating the group.