Historian dies at age 80
A HISTORIAN who had a keen interest in Buntingford has died at the age of 80. Philip Plumb who was born in River Green, Buntingford, in 1925 died after suffering ill health for a number of years. He had been active in many groups including the parish coun
A HISTORIAN who had a keen interest in Buntingford has died at the age of 80.
Philip Plumb who was born in River Green, Buntingford, in 1925 died after suffering ill health for a number of years.
He had been active in many groups including the parish council, Buntingford Town FC, the Scouts, the Buntingford Dramatic Society and the Buntingford Almshouse Charity.
Philip grew up in Buntingford and went to a local school before winning a scholarship to Hertford Grammar at the age of 10. After leaving school at 16 he worked in the county library before joining the Army in 1944.
You may also want to watch:
After the war he resumed his career as a librarian, responsible for the local history collection.
He then went onto lecture in librarianship and was a librarian of the Polytechnic of East London.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
He was well known for his local history knowledge and was author of a book on Buntingford.
Derek Cooper, chairman of the Civic Society, said: "Philip was an exceptional contributor to the town in terms of knowledge.
Philip leaves his wife, Dulcie, and their five children.