Herts County Council Elections 2017: Liberal Democrats gain Royston seat from Conservatives but other seats stay blue
- Credit: Archant
The Conservatives have lost one of their two Herts County Council seats in Royston to the Liberal Democrats after the county went to the polls yesterday.
Steve Jarvis took the Royston West and Rural seat from Tony Hunter, who has held the seat since 2009.
The closely run contest was decided by just 62 votes.
It was a far more comfortable victory for Conservative Fiona Hill, who held Royston East and Ermine by almost 1,600 votes.
The Tories have maintained their control of Herts County Council as a whole, and it’s pretty much as you were for the North Herts district.
The Conservatives also held the Royston Heath seat in a North Herts District Council by-election, with another hold in Royston Town Council’s Heath ward.
For the Royston results in full see below, with South Cambs results to come later today.
- 1 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 2 New mayor elected in historic moment for Royston Town Council
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 5 Therfield pub celebrates lockdown heroes
- 6 Hertfordshire's Wilkestock festival to return after licensing row resolved
- 7 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 8 Children invited to take part in town trail for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 9 Royston Methodists welcome leading figures to church
- 10 Family-run bridalwear shop closes down after 23 years
Herts County Council:
• Royston East and Ermine – CONSERVATIVE HOLD
Karen Harmel (Green) – 192
Fiona Hill (Con) – 2,244 ELECTED
Mark Hughes (Ind) – 277
Hugh Parker (Lib Dem) – 633
John Rees (Lab) – 479
Turnout: 3,890 (35.18 per cent)
• Royston West and Rural – LIB DEM GAIN FROM CONSERVATIVE
Christoper Arquati (UKIP) – 162
Dean Lee Cartwright (Green) – 145
Kenneth Garland (Lab) – 380
Tony Hunter (Con) – 1,914
Steve Jarvis (Lib Dem) – 1,976 ELECTED
Turnout: 4,590 (38.98 per cent)
North Herts District Council by-election:
• Royston Heath – CONSERVATIVE HOLD
Christopher Arquati (UKIP) – 68
Sarah Dingley (Con) – 844 ELECTED
Katherine Shann (Green) – 97
Carol Stanier (Lib Dem) – 470
Vaughan West (Lab) – 196
Turnout: 1,680 (39.99 per cent)
• Royston Town Heath – CONSERVATIVE HOLD
The Royston Town Heath Ward seat on Royston Town Council was another Conservative hold.
Christopher Arquati (Ind) – 59
Ruth Brown (Lib Dem) – 587
Robin King (Lab) – 200
Marguerite Phillips (Con) – 825 ELECTED
Turnout: 1,679 (38.96 per cent)