Herts County Council Elections 2017: Liberal Democrats gain Royston seat from Conservatives but other seats stay blue
- Credit: Archant
The Conservatives have lost one of their two Herts County Council seats in Royston to the Liberal Democrats after the county went to the polls yesterday.
Steve Jarvis took the Royston West and Rural seat from Tony Hunter, who has held the seat since 2009.
The closely run contest was decided by just 62 votes.
It was a far more comfortable victory for Conservative Fiona Hill, who held Royston East and Ermine by almost 1,600 votes.
The Tories have maintained their control of Herts County Council as a whole, and it’s pretty much as you were for the North Herts district.
You may also want to watch:
The Conservatives also held the Royston Heath seat in a North Herts District Council by-election, with another hold in Royston Town Council’s Heath ward.
For the Royston results in full see below, with South Cambs results to come later today.
- 1 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 2 Pupils celebrate all things Roald Dahl with 'Whoopsy Whiffling' day
- 3 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
- 4 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 5 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 6 Suspected arsonist held after health centre fire
- 7 Royston Museum finally set to reopen to families
- 8 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
- 9 Constituency boundary review - have you had your say?
- 10 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
Herts County Council:
• Royston East and Ermine – CONSERVATIVE HOLD
Karen Harmel (Green) – 192
Fiona Hill (Con) – 2,244 ELECTED
Mark Hughes (Ind) – 277
Hugh Parker (Lib Dem) – 633
John Rees (Lab) – 479
Turnout: 3,890 (35.18 per cent)
• Royston West and Rural – LIB DEM GAIN FROM CONSERVATIVE
Christoper Arquati (UKIP) – 162
Dean Lee Cartwright (Green) – 145
Kenneth Garland (Lab) – 380
Tony Hunter (Con) – 1,914
Steve Jarvis (Lib Dem) – 1,976 ELECTED
Turnout: 4,590 (38.98 per cent)
North Herts District Council by-election:
• Royston Heath – CONSERVATIVE HOLD
Christopher Arquati (UKIP) – 68
Sarah Dingley (Con) – 844 ELECTED
Katherine Shann (Green) – 97
Carol Stanier (Lib Dem) – 470
Vaughan West (Lab) – 196
Turnout: 1,680 (39.99 per cent)
• Royston Town Heath – CONSERVATIVE HOLD
The Royston Town Heath Ward seat on Royston Town Council was another Conservative hold.
Christopher Arquati (Ind) – 59
Ruth Brown (Lib Dem) – 587
Robin King (Lab) – 200
Marguerite Phillips (Con) – 825 ELECTED
Turnout: 1,679 (38.96 per cent)