Hero PCSO who helped stricken cyclist after accident honoured
- Credit: Archant
A hero Police Community Support Officer who helped a stricken cyclist following an accident has been commended.
Amanda Higham, from Buntingford received a Royal Humane Society award at a ceremony at Hertfordshire Police headquarters in Welwyn Garden City on Wednesday.
The 42-year-old received the award in connection with an accident that took place on June 9, 2013 on the A507 near Buntingford. A motorcyclist had been thrown from his bike after a collision with a car, and had landed in a hedgerow, where he was unresponsive.
Together with a colleague, Debbie Stevens, 50, from Bishop’s Stortford, PCSO Higham managed to keep the motorcyclist still despite his repeated requests to move and take his helmet off.
A spokesman for Hertfordshire Police said: “Knowing that it was very dangerous to attempt to remove his helmet they refrained from doing so and continued to reassure him as best they could.
You may also want to watch:
“A paramedic arrived shortly afterwards and they assisted in helping to cut off the motorcyclist’s leathers and then continued to assist under the direction of the paramedic.
“Eventually the motorcyclist was taken to hospital by air ambulance having suffered extensive and life changing injuries.”
- 1 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 2 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 3 Nuthampstead Olympic Shooter takes bronze in Tokyo
- 4 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 5 Stunning snap causes stir online
- 6 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 7 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 8 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 9 No Olympic medal for Daniel Goodfellow after synchronized diving heartbreak
- 10 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
Mrs Stevens also received the Royal Humane Society award, which was established in 1774 and recognises acts of bravery in the saving of human life and for effecting successful resuscitations.
The ceremony saw a number of other officers from across the county, including Nicola Morris, 42, from Buntingford. She works in Hertford and received a certificate to mark 20 years on the force.
Guest of honour on the night was Vice Lord Lieutenant of Hertfordshire Richard Beazley, who presented the awards alongside Hertfordshire’s Chief Constable Andy Bliss.