Helping hand for young families in Royston and district needs your help
- Credit: Archant
Centre manager Denise Graham’s regular look at the voluntary sector in North East Herts
Family support charity Home-Start is exploring ways of involving additional volunteers to help them provide their much-needed services.
All parents need emotional and practical help to get through the first few years, but not everyone has friends or family nearby. This is when Home-Start can be invaluable.
Home-Start Royston & South Cambridgeshire provides a home visiting service, a family support group and helps put families in touch with local services and resources.
They help families with children under the age of five cope with post-natal depression, illness, isolation, bereavement, disability, domestic abuse and much more, offering regular support and practical help to alleviate stress with a view to preventing family crisis and breakdown. A well-prepared support volunteer is linked with each family and offers regular, usually weekly, home visits. The approach varies according to the needs of the family. Volunteers can talk with parents, play with the children or accompany the family on outings and appointments.
You may also want to watch:
Recent challenges around funding have put this fantastic service under threat so, to ensure that families that need their support are not let down, they are looking for fundraising volunteers to help at their events and a fundraising events co-ordinator to help their fundraising manager and to assist the office manager with some admin tasks.
This is a real chance to help ensure the longevity of this vital organisation. If you think you, or someone you know, would be interested, please contact us and we will put you in touch.
- 1 Power cut affects nearly 9,000 homes and businesses
- 2 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 3 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 4 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 5 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
- 6 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 7 Mass vaccine centre opening marks 'big step forward' in beating COVID-19
- 8 Fraudster jailed after £60,000 shopping spree
- 9 Families of care home residents worry about vaccine roll-out delays
- 10 Mass vaccination centre in town 'first' to open next week
You can find the Royston & District Volunteer Centre in the Royston Town Hall Annexe, Melbourn Street, Royston, SG8 7DA
Phone 01763 243020, email email@example.com or visit the website at www.roystonvolunteer.org.uk