‘Help us to remember the legends Pink Floyd’ - Melbourn historian asks for public support to erect plaque
- Credit: Archant
A historian from Melbourn has set himself the task of immortalising the work of music heroes Pink Floyd – and he’s asking for the public’s support to do so.
Fonz Chamberlain, who lives in Hinkins Close, wants to erect a plaque in Cambridge city centre in memory of the rock band.
The 36-year-old said: “It’s amazing how Liverpool remembers The Beatles, but in Cambridge I think there’s only one bench in tribute to Pink Floyd.”
After suggestions from across the world on how to remember the band, artist Pippa Westoby came up with a design for a plaque – but the pair need permission from Cambridge City Council to put the wheels in motion.
More than 800 people have already pledged their support to erect the plaque.
You may also want to watch:
Fonz said: “We are hoping to prove to the council that people want this. We really want the public to sign the petition.
“We want this band to be remembered. We have people interested in donating funds, but we need proof that it’s what the people want.”
- 1 Pre-school plots Pyjamarama fundraising day for book charity
- 2 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 3 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 4 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 5 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 6 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 7 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 8 Robot assists with cancer operations at Lister Hospital
- 9 Car wash raids spark modern slavery fears in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Govia Thameslink makes £700,000 railway station accessibility improvements
Suggestions for where to put the plaque have ranged from Glisson Road, where founding member Syd Barrett was born, to the Corn Exchange where he performed his final gig.
Fonz said: “I have been a fan since I was young. I often saw Syd about Cambridge and I’d be fascinated by him.”
To sign the petition to erect a plaque, visit www.thepetitionsite.com/483/955/938/petition-to-support-having-a-commemorative-pink-floyd-plaque-in-cambridge.