‘Help us to remember the legends Pink Floyd’ - Melbourn historian asks for public support to erect plaque
- Credit: Archant
A historian from Melbourn has set himself the task of immortalising the work of music heroes Pink Floyd – and he’s asking for the public’s support to do so.
Fonz Chamberlain, who lives in Hinkins Close, wants to erect a plaque in Cambridge city centre in memory of the rock band.
The 36-year-old said: “It’s amazing how Liverpool remembers The Beatles, but in Cambridge I think there’s only one bench in tribute to Pink Floyd.”
After suggestions from across the world on how to remember the band, artist Pippa Westoby came up with a design for a plaque – but the pair need permission from Cambridge City Council to put the wheels in motion.
More than 800 people have already pledged their support to erect the plaque.
You may also want to watch:
Fonz said: “We are hoping to prove to the council that people want this. We really want the public to sign the petition.
“We want this band to be remembered. We have people interested in donating funds, but we need proof that it’s what the people want.”
- 1 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 4 Stunning snap causes stir online
- 5 Nuthampstead Olympic Shooter takes bronze in Tokyo
- 6 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 7 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 8 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 9 No Olympic medal for Daniel Goodfellow after synchronized diving heartbreak
- 10 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
Suggestions for where to put the plaque have ranged from Glisson Road, where founding member Syd Barrett was born, to the Corn Exchange where he performed his final gig.
Fonz said: “I have been a fan since I was young. I often saw Syd about Cambridge and I’d be fascinated by him.”
To sign the petition to erect a plaque, visit www.thepetitionsite.com/483/955/938/petition-to-support-having-a-commemorative-pink-floyd-plaque-in-cambridge.