‘Help us to remember the legends Pink Floyd’ - Melbourn historian asks for public support to erect plaque
- Credit: Archant
A historian from Melbourn has set himself the task of immortalising the work of music heroes Pink Floyd – and he’s asking for the public’s support to do so.
Fonz Chamberlain, who lives in Hinkins Close, wants to erect a plaque in Cambridge city centre in memory of the rock band.
The 36-year-old said: “It’s amazing how Liverpool remembers The Beatles, but in Cambridge I think there’s only one bench in tribute to Pink Floyd.”
After suggestions from across the world on how to remember the band, artist Pippa Westoby came up with a design for a plaque – but the pair need permission from Cambridge City Council to put the wheels in motion.
More than 800 people have already pledged their support to erect the plaque.
You may also want to watch:
Fonz said: “We are hoping to prove to the council that people want this. We really want the public to sign the petition.
“We want this band to be remembered. We have people interested in donating funds, but we need proof that it’s what the people want.”
- 1 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 2 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 3 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 4 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 5 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 6 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 7 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 8 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 9 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
- 10 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
Suggestions for where to put the plaque have ranged from Glisson Road, where founding member Syd Barrett was born, to the Corn Exchange where he performed his final gig.
Fonz said: “I have been a fan since I was young. I often saw Syd about Cambridge and I’d be fascinated by him.”
To sign the petition to erect a plaque, visit www.thepetitionsite.com/483/955/938/petition-to-support-having-a-commemorative-pink-floyd-plaque-in-cambridge.