Covid booster jab to be offered to more than 30 million people
- Credit: PA
Booster jabs will be offered to people over 50, as well as those in care homes and working in frontline health and social care, the government has announced.
Medical experts said the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine was safe to be given alongside the usual winter flu jab, and would be used as the booster dose for more than 30 million people.
People who are clinically extremely vulnerable and anyone aged 16 to 65 in an at-risk group group for Covid — who were in priority groups one to nine during the initial vaccine rollout — will also be eligible for a jab.
Three vaccines have been approved as safe and effective as boosters – AstraZeneca, Pfizer and Moderna – but experts have decided to opt for Pfizer as a preference after studies showed it is well tolerated and works well as a booster.
The Pfizer jab as a booster can be given to people who had two doses of AstraZeneca previously.
If necessary, Moderna may be used as an alternative, but as a half-dose booster shot after studies showed it was effective with few side-effects.
People should receive their third booster dose at least six months after they received their second dose of a Covid vaccine.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 5 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 6 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 7 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 8 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 9 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 10 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
When there is more data, experts plan to look at whether boosters should also be offered to healthy people under the age of 50.