‘He inspired me to get into politics’ - Charles Kennedy tribute from South Cambs councillor
- Credit: Archant
A county councillor has spoken of how the ‘compassion’ of the late Charles Kennedy drew her to the Liberal Democrats.
Susan van de Ven, councillor for Foxton, Heydon, Melbourn, Meldreth, Shepreth and Great and Little Chishill said he ‘inspired a deep compassion for the well-being of humankind.’
She added: “This was exemplified in his opposition to the invasion of Iraq in 2003.
“His compassion made him fundamentally an internationalist and a localist, because at the end of the day we are all human beings with a moral responsibility to look out for one another.
“His courage was unique and his independence abundantly evident in the way that he always came across as genuine, natural and speaking the truth.
You may also want to watch:
“Personal demons made him all the more human, but it is a terrible irony that someone with such outstanding humanity should ultimately suffer such isolation and loss.”
Councillor Philippa Hart, district councillor for Meldreth and Shepreth, echoed Susan’s words, saying: “He is a great loss to the party and to British politics.”
- 1 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 2 Bins sealed shut and rat cull halted on Therfield Heath
- 3 Missing teen found safe and well
- 4 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 5 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 6 Party leaders respond to election result in North Herts
- 7 Richard Roberts set to become leader of Herts County Council
- 8 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 9 County council elections round-up for North Herts
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'