Guilden Morden pupils enjoy practical day with Willmott Dixon staff
- Credit: Archant
Guilden Morden Primary School’s older pupils enjoyed learning more about the different aspects of engineering during a practical day planned and led by staff at construction firm Willmott Dixon.
During the morning, the children worked in teams to carry out a number of tasks that related to different areas of engineering - electrical, mechanical and civil.
The tasks involved creating electric circuits for different purposes, and wiring up a simulation of a house light and switch circuit. They also worked out the answers to some maths formula related to mass and gravity.
During the afternoon the children worked in teams to create a plan for a model house that met a specific design brief. They then found out that they had to use another group's design to make the actual model. They coped magnificently and within a very tight time frame completed their models.
One group received special recognition for how well they worked together to complete the task.
You may also want to watch:
Individuals were also rewarded for their efforts during the day.
Parents joined the children at the end of the day for a 'round-up' of all that they had experienced as the children confidently and spontaneously explained what they had been doing.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 6 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 7 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 8 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 9 Outstanding day had by all at Streetfood Heroes event
- 10 Flying day at IWM Duxford commemorates 77th anniversary of D-Day
The school have expressed their thanks to the Wilmott Dixon staff for giving up their time and expertise for the school.