ALLOTMENT holders put on a show for the public during an open day on Sunday. And Neil Guttridge, of the Royston Allotment and Gardens Association, said: The event seems to be attracting more people each year. There is certainly greater interest in what
ALLOTMENT holders put on a show for the public during an open day on Sunday.
And Neil Guttridge, of the Royston Allotment and Gardens Association, said: "The event seems to be attracting more people each year.
"There is certainly greater interest in what we come to call today grow your own," he said.
The Royston Greenfingers Club also put on a display at the allotments in Green Street, Royston.
And to make matters interesting there were a number of competitions.
The Dutch tray competition was won by Mark Donagin and his 12-year-old son James, while Tony Churchman won the best scarecrow prize for his Terry Twitcher, which sat atop his shed, and he also produced the largest marrow.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
- 5 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 6 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 7 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 8 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 9 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 10 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
David Bannister, who had been one of the judges for the competitions, said that this year's event was "outstanding".
He said of the allotment holders: "I think everyone is learning from previous years and we are seeing a better quality all round."
SUCCESS for Mark Donagin and his 12-year-old son James during the Royston Allotment and Gardeners Association's open day at Green Street on Sunday morning.
They took first prize in the Dutch tray competition.