ALLOTMENT holders put on a show for the public during an open day on Sunday. And Neil Guttridge, of the Royston Allotment and Gardens Association, said: The event seems to be attracting more people each year. There is certainly greater interest in what
ALLOTMENT holders put on a show for the public during an open day on Sunday.
And Neil Guttridge, of the Royston Allotment and Gardens Association, said: "The event seems to be attracting more people each year.
"There is certainly greater interest in what we come to call today grow your own," he said.
The Royston Greenfingers Club also put on a display at the allotments in Green Street, Royston.
You may also want to watch:
And to make matters interesting there were a number of competitions.
The Dutch tray competition was won by Mark Donagin and his 12-year-old son James, while Tony Churchman won the best scarecrow prize for his Terry Twitcher, which sat atop his shed, and he also produced the largest marrow.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 7 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 8 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
David Bannister, who had been one of the judges for the competitions, said that this year's event was "outstanding".
He said of the allotment holders: "I think everyone is learning from previous years and we are seeing a better quality all round."
SUCCESS for Mark Donagin and his 12-year-old son James during the Royston Allotment and Gardeners Association's open day at Green Street on Sunday morning.
They took first prize in the Dutch tray competition.