Golfers tee off to raise funds for air ambulance
- Credit: Archant
Golfers have teed off to support an air ambulance which saved the life of one of it’s members’ sons.
The Herts Air Ambulance golf day was held at Barkway Park Golf Club on Friday, and raised £16,000 to support the work of the air ambulance, which flies to help patients across the county.
Though the golf is a yearly event at Barkway Park, this year it took on extra significance.
Sue Akers, from the golf club explained: “Barkway Park golf club has chosen The Herts Air Ambulance as their charity for the last four years, as we feel that it is the only charity that regardless of age or gender, some day we may need their services, especially as golfers.
“One of our members Dave Long’s son Gus was airlifted last year as a result of a road traffic accident, now fully recovered thanks to the Air Ambulance. He was invited to the airbase at North Weald where he met the Doctors and crew as he hadn’t remembered a thing as he had been unconscious throughout the whole experience.”
You may also want to watch:
The cash means over £53,000 has been raised by the golf club since the charity day started in 2010.
Dawn Easby, Herts Air Ambulance fundraising manager, said: “We were completely blown away when Barkway Park announced that it had raised at least £16,000 from their Charity Golf Day this year.
- 1 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 4 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 5 Stunning snap causes stir online
- 6 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 7 Nuthampstead Olympic Shooter takes bronze in Tokyo
- 8 Huge splash of support for Meldreth diver Dan Goodfellow
- 9 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 10 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
“It just goes to show what a small group of people can do when they have the right attitude, determination and a formula that works. I would like to thank everyone at Barkway Park Golf Club for their support with running the Herts Air Ambulance event over the last five years, who have put in teams year after year and all the Golf Clubs and local businesses who contributed to the impressive auction and raffle.
“Our HEMS Crew landed at the course and, despite receiving an emergency call just as they started to eat, were hugely impressed by all the effort which had gone into making the day a success.
“If you break it down by the average cost of one mission Barkway Park Golf Club have potentially saved 7 people’s lives with their Golf Day this year and 21 lives by raising over £53,000 since 2010, which is something to be truly proud of.”