Golf day and Royston Summer Soul event raise thousands for sight loss charity
- Credit: Archant
A man who went blind from cancer two years ago has hooked up with his former Royston employer to raise thousands for a sight loss charity.
Nick Burr, who lives in Bassingbourn, drummed up funds for Cam Sight through a charity golf match sponsored by Ad Hoc Bar and Kitchen in Fish Hill, and presented a cheque to Cam Sight fundraising ambassador Warren Wilson.
Added to the money collected during the bar’s successful Summer Soul to the Square event in July, a total of £3,160 was raised for the local charity.
Ad Hoc Manager Jason Todd said: “We are very proud to be a part of Nick’s dedication to help local people with similar issues and adore his strong and happy spirit to continue to enjoy his favourite hobbies including playing golf and football.
“We would like to thank all of those who helped us raise these funds and we hope to increase this amount at next year’s Summer Soul in the Square event to be held on July 9.”
You may also want to watch:
Nick has dedicated his time to raising money for sight loss charities since going blind from cancer of the central nervous system lymphoma.
He will be holding a ‘dans le noir’ charity event to raise money for Cambridge Dons Goalball Club next Friday, November 13, at The Sheene Mill in Melbourn. The evening will involve guests dining in the dark by tucking into a three course meal blindfolded.
- 1 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 2 COVID-19 outbreaks now in half of all Herts care homes
- 3 Parents struggling with homeschooling to get boost from book donors
- 4 COVID-19 figures falling in North Herts and South Cambs
- 5 Ambulance boss steps down after battling 'severe coronavirus'
- 6 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 7 Storm Christoph: Prepare for flooding in South Cambs
- 8 Power cut affects nearly 9,000 homes and businesses
- 9 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 10 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend