Gipsy and traveller strategy to be unveiled
PLANS for a gipsy and traveller community strategy are to be unveiled by a council. South Cambridgeshire District Council are proposing to start consultation on the strategy, details of which will be revealed at a meeting next Tuesday. Housing portfolio h
PLANS for a gipsy and traveller community strategy are to be unveiled by a council.
South Cambridgeshire District Council are proposing to start consultation on the strategy, details of which will be revealed at a meeting next Tuesday.
Housing portfolio holder, Cllr Mark Howell, said, "We have made good progress on our journey to becoming an organisation that can deliver equality and diversity and should celebrate our achievements so far. Gipsies and travellers are a part of South Cambridgeshire life and it is our duty to make sure they enjoy equality of service alongside our settled communities."
Gipsies and Travellers are South Cambridgeshire's largest ethnic minority, equating to one per cent of the district's population.
You may also want to watch:
Last month, the district council announced that at least 88 additional gipsy and traveller pitches would be built in the district by 2021, with several potential sites identified, including land in Bassingbourn and Whaddon.
The draft strategy aims to ensure that gipsy and traveller rights and needs are integrated into existing council policies, while also addressing issues of social exclusion, and promoting community cohesion.
- 1 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 2 No Olympic medal for Daniel Goodfellow after synchronized diving heartbreak
- 3 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 4 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 5 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 Safety improvement works on dangerous A505 junction to start this month
- 8 Learning pod built at one of the UK's smallest schools thanks to £1,000 donation
- 9 Neighbourhood Plan passed to 'secure the best' for Foxton
- 10 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
Cllr Howell added: "At my portfolio holder meeting I will be ensuring that we have the means in place to engage and consult effectively with both internal and external stakeholders to agree a final strategy and action plan.
"I will also make sure that the proposed consultation process will maximise opportunities to improve understanding of gipsy and traveller lifestyles, promote engagement with gipsies and travellers and enhance community cohesion," he said.