Get screened for diabetes at the supermarket
A SUPERMARKET has launched a new diabetes screening service in Royston - over concerns that residents may not recognise the symptoms. It is estimated that one million people in the UK suffer from diabetes and don t know they are at risk. However, residen
A SUPERMARKET has launched a new diabetes screening service in Royston - over concerns that residents may not recognise the symptoms.
It is estimated that one million people in the UK suffer from diabetes and don't know they are at risk. However, residents in Royston and the surrounding villages can check, thanks to a free screening service at the in-store Pharmacy at Tesco in North Road.
The short test will be carried out by a trained member of the Pharmacy team in a private consultation area, with results being identified immediately.
Philip Banks, the Pharmacy Services Manager said: "Along with the large number of people who don't recognise the symptoms of diabetes, certain groups are also more likely to develop the condition."
Diabetes is a result of higher levels of glucose (sugar) in the blood and if left untreated can have serious implications to your health - causing heart problems and damage to your eyesight, kidneys and nerves.
Mr Banks added: "With our new screening service it couldn't be easier to check if you could be at risk. This is a vitally important health check as screening can help to indicate the likelihood you have, or if you may develop diabetes. Once recognised, diabetes can be effectively controlled with small lifestyle changes or medication where necessary."
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
- 4 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 5 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 6 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 7 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 8 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 9 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 10 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- As well as the screening service, a free Living with Diabetes booklet is also available from the Pharmacy. Developed with experts from the charity, Diabetes UK, the booklet is full of advice on how to understand the condition and learn how to live with it.