Generous Tesco shoppers donate one and a half tonnes of food to Royston foodbank in two days
- Credit: Archant
Generous shoppers supported Royston Foodbank by donating more than one and a half tonnes of food in two days.
Volunteers from the foodbank teamed up with Royston’s Tesco Extra store to collect food at the shop over two days earlier this month.
Mathew Hall, chairman of Royston Foodbank, said: “We were not prepared for the level of generosity we found. More than one and a half tonnes of food was donated in two days.
“Our volunteers talked with customers as they entered the store inviting them to support us by buying a few extra items of food for the foodbank. Many people responded amazingly.
“One shopper pushed a trolley of food out of Tesco with a single bag perched on top. As they approached our stand a foodbank volunteer went to take the bag but the shopper said: ‘Oh no, that’s mine, everything else in the trolley is yours’. Others responded in similar ways.
You may also want to watch:
“May I say how proud we all are at the Royston Foodbank of being part of such an amazing community. Thank you to everyone who donated, or who helped on the weekend.”
The foodbank opened in April following eight months of hard work by a team of volunteers. It has already proved to be a vital service for people in Royston and the surrounding villages, who can’t afford to feed their families.
- 1 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 2 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 3 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 4 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 5 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 6 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
- 7 Family builds fairy garden for grandchildren during lockdown
- 8 'Community campaigns are making an impact, so have your say on rail link'
- 9 Man who climbed on Tesco freezer jailed for string of offences
- 10 Three household waste collection crews suspended
Mr Hall said: “The food will be given to those in our area who find themselves in crisis and without food.
“We would like to thank Tesco and their staff who were so supportive, giving us every assistance and allowing us to use the whole of the front of the store for our activities. They will also be topping up the total donations by 30 per cent, making a very considerable donation from the company itself.”
The foodbank’s distribution centre is open on two days a week in Market Hill, Royston. Anyone who is in crisis and without food can ring or text 07541 808185 for help and assistance.
For more information, log on to royston.foodbank.org.uk, or email email@example.com.