Generous Tesco shoppers donate one and a half tonnes of food to Royston foodbank in two days
- Credit: Archant
Generous shoppers supported Royston Foodbank by donating more than one and a half tonnes of food in two days.
Volunteers from the foodbank teamed up with Royston’s Tesco Extra store to collect food at the shop over two days earlier this month.
Mathew Hall, chairman of Royston Foodbank, said: “We were not prepared for the level of generosity we found. More than one and a half tonnes of food was donated in two days.
“Our volunteers talked with customers as they entered the store inviting them to support us by buying a few extra items of food for the foodbank. Many people responded amazingly.
“One shopper pushed a trolley of food out of Tesco with a single bag perched on top. As they approached our stand a foodbank volunteer went to take the bag but the shopper said: ‘Oh no, that’s mine, everything else in the trolley is yours’. Others responded in similar ways.
You may also want to watch:
“May I say how proud we all are at the Royston Foodbank of being part of such an amazing community. Thank you to everyone who donated, or who helped on the weekend.”
The foodbank opened in April following eight months of hard work by a team of volunteers. It has already proved to be a vital service for people in Royston and the surrounding villages, who can’t afford to feed their families.
- 1 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 2 COVID-19 outbreaks now in half of all Herts care homes
- 3 Parents struggling with homeschooling to get boost from book donors
- 4 COVID-19 figures falling in North Herts and South Cambs
- 5 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 6 Ambulance boss steps down after battling 'severe coronavirus'
- 7 Storm Christoph: Prepare for flooding in South Cambs
- 8 Power cut affects nearly 9,000 homes and businesses
- 9 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 10 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
Mr Hall said: “The food will be given to those in our area who find themselves in crisis and without food.
“We would like to thank Tesco and their staff who were so supportive, giving us every assistance and allowing us to use the whole of the front of the store for our activities. They will also be topping up the total donations by 30 per cent, making a very considerable donation from the company itself.”
The foodbank’s distribution centre is open on two days a week in Market Hill, Royston. Anyone who is in crisis and without food can ring or text 07541 808185 for help and assistance.
For more information, log on to royston.foodbank.org.uk, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.