Gang raids third village pub in month
A THIRD village pub has been raided within the space of a month. The Bushel and Strike in Ashwell was the latest target at about 10.20pm on Sunday. Three men wearing balaclavas and wielding fence-posts studded with nails made threats to customers and staf
A THIRD village pub has been raided within the space of a month.
The Bushel and Strike in Ashwell was the latest target at about 10.20pm on Sunday.
Three men wearing balaclavas and wielding fence-posts studded with nails made threats to customers and staff.
Two of the raiders ordered a barman to hand over money from the cash draw while a third threatened two young men who were drinking in the pub.
You may also want to watch:
The gang then forced the barman to get a safe key from colleague Gary Wheeler, who was working upstairs.
Mr Wheeler said: "It could have been a lot worse.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 7 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 8 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 9 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 10 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
"It's important for people to hear about this so that they will be more aware."
After emptying the safe the gang searched for any other money on the premises before escaping in a silver W reg Audi estate. The vehicle was later found burned out not far from the scene.
The first man is described as about 6ft 1in, medium build and wearing a black corduroy jacket and a black woolly hat.
The second man was about 5ft 5in, medium build and wearing a white top which had an elasticated waist and a woolly hat.
The third man was said to be of a stocky build and about 5ft 7in.
Police said yesterday (Wednesday) that one man had been arrested and allowed bail until May 2.
This latest incident comes after attacks on pubs in Ashwell and Guilden Morden last month.
In each raid the pubs were targeted on a quiet Sunday evening just before closing time.