Gang raids third village pub in month
A THIRD village pub has been raided within the space of a month. The Bushel and Strike in Ashwell was the latest target at about 10.20pm on Sunday. Three men wearing balaclavas and wielding fence-posts studded with nails made threats to customers and staf
A THIRD village pub has been raided within the space of a month.
The Bushel and Strike in Ashwell was the latest target at about 10.20pm on Sunday.
Three men wearing balaclavas and wielding fence-posts studded with nails made threats to customers and staff.
Two of the raiders ordered a barman to hand over money from the cash draw while a third threatened two young men who were drinking in the pub.
The gang then forced the barman to get a safe key from colleague Gary Wheeler, who was working upstairs.
Mr Wheeler said: "It could have been a lot worse.
- 1 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 2 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 3 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 4 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 5 MP hosts gathering for Ukrainian refugees
- 6 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 7 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 8 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 9 Hertfordshire 'extreme heat' amber warning as temperature set to soar
- 10 20 Ukrainian medical students begin placements at Addenbrooke’s
"It's important for people to hear about this so that they will be more aware."
After emptying the safe the gang searched for any other money on the premises before escaping in a silver W reg Audi estate. The vehicle was later found burned out not far from the scene.
The first man is described as about 6ft 1in, medium build and wearing a black corduroy jacket and a black woolly hat.
The second man was about 5ft 5in, medium build and wearing a white top which had an elasticated waist and a woolly hat.
The third man was said to be of a stocky build and about 5ft 7in.
Police said yesterday (Wednesday) that one man had been arrested and allowed bail until May 2.
This latest incident comes after attacks on pubs in Ashwell and Guilden Morden last month.
In each raid the pubs were targeted on a quiet Sunday evening just before closing time.