GALLERY: Thousands enjoy Ashwell Country Show
THE Ashwell Country Show was a huge success despite a light flurry of rain.
Now in its 90th year, the event took place on bank holiday Monday with organisers estimating the event attracting about 6,000 people.
This year children under 16 had free entry making it a value for money family event. The main attractions were Dingle Fingle the stunt clown, The Guinness World Record holder’s 3sixty bike display team, Freddie’s farm sheepdog trials and Royston’s Electralite Majorettes, while Ashwell tree surgeon Matty Fathers was showcasing his chainsaw carving skills.
Organiser, Fiona Richards, said: “It was a glorious morning and we had about the same amount of people we had as last year. Dingle Fingle was a huge hit with the children as were the 3sixty bike display team. They really drew in the crowds. The food court was packed with people and the beer tent was very popular.
“The free messy play tent was expanded this year to include a tractor ride on, with real grain for digging and sowing, plus a visit from Dinky Dancers as well as our resident kids’ entertainer.
You may also want to watch:
“The free craft tent also had a new element with our skilled artists offering people a go at glass blowing, throwing a pot and spinning.”
Fiona said: “We are constantly striving to give more value for money and offer free attractions to justify the entrance price.”
- 1 Second Gladman planning application for fields near Therfield Heath rejected
- 2 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 3 'It's such a relief' - Shops, pubs and more reopen as lockdown eases
- 4 Royston woman celebrates 100th birthday after living in town for 53 years
- 5 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 6 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 7 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 8 Consultation on East West Rail route opens
- 9 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 10 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
Show organisers are running a photo competition where visitors can send in their shots to email@example.com and be in with a chance to win four free tickets to next years show to be held on August 26.
Details can be found at ashwellshow.co.uk – closing date July 2013.