GALLERY: Royston May Fayre back after year’s absence
- Credit: Archant
HUNDREDS of people enjoyed the Bank Holiday sunshine at Royston’s annual May Fayre.
The event had to be cancelled last year because of wet weather, but there were no such problems this time around, and crowds flocked to sample the stalls and attractions in Priory Memorial Gardens on Monday.
Royston’s Mayor, Cllr Lindsay Davidson, said: “The place was absolutely packed.
“After our sad cancellation last year it was wonderful to have such fantastic weather, and I don’t think we’ve ever had such large crowds.”
Attractions included fairground rides and a bungee swing, and there was also live music, dancing, and a dog show.
One canine who didn’t enter the contest was a robotic dog who roamed the gardens, greeting visitors.
The Rotary Club of Royston held its annual classic car and motorbike show, with Peter Nightingale, of Priory Close, Royston, winning the best car prize for his Rolls Royce Phantom V, and Buntingford resident Alan Smith taking the motorbike award for his BSA 1959 Gold Star.
- 1 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 4 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 5 Stevenage's Lister Hospital changes maternity visiting guidance
- 6 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 7 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 8 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 9 Up on the roof: Choir sings from top of 163ft chapel tower at Cambridge college
- 10 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
Cllr Davidson paid tribute to all the volunteers who made the day a success.
“A big thank you goes to everyone who helped behind the scenes, from the May Fayre committee to the town hall staff and volunteers,” she said.
“It was a fantastic day all round.”
* For a gallery of pictures, click on the link in the top right-hand corner.