GALLERY: Royston May Fayre back after year’s absence
- Credit: Archant
HUNDREDS of people enjoyed the Bank Holiday sunshine at Royston’s annual May Fayre.
The event had to be cancelled last year because of wet weather, but there were no such problems this time around, and crowds flocked to sample the stalls and attractions in Priory Memorial Gardens on Monday.
Royston’s Mayor, Cllr Lindsay Davidson, said: “The place was absolutely packed.
“After our sad cancellation last year it was wonderful to have such fantastic weather, and I don’t think we’ve ever had such large crowds.”
Attractions included fairground rides and a bungee swing, and there was also live music, dancing, and a dog show.
You may also want to watch:
One canine who didn’t enter the contest was a robotic dog who roamed the gardens, greeting visitors.
The Rotary Club of Royston held its annual classic car and motorbike show, with Peter Nightingale, of Priory Close, Royston, winning the best car prize for his Rolls Royce Phantom V, and Buntingford resident Alan Smith taking the motorbike award for his BSA 1959 Gold Star.
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 4 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 5 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing
- 6 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 7 College chapel goes green to raise awareness of rare condition
- 8 Dial M for an interesting look at the macabre
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 10 Award-winning jazz singer Clare Teal and her sextet to play concert at Cambridge Arts Theatre
Cllr Davidson paid tribute to all the volunteers who made the day a success.
“A big thank you goes to everyone who helped behind the scenes, from the May Fayre committee to the town hall staff and volunteers,” she said.
“It was a fantastic day all round.”
* For a gallery of pictures, click on the link in the top right-hand corner.