GALLERY: Royston May Fayre back after year’s absence
- Credit: Archant
HUNDREDS of people enjoyed the Bank Holiday sunshine at Royston’s annual May Fayre.
The event had to be cancelled last year because of wet weather, but there were no such problems this time around, and crowds flocked to sample the stalls and attractions in Priory Memorial Gardens on Monday.
Royston’s Mayor, Cllr Lindsay Davidson, said: “The place was absolutely packed.
“After our sad cancellation last year it was wonderful to have such fantastic weather, and I don’t think we’ve ever had such large crowds.”
Attractions included fairground rides and a bungee swing, and there was also live music, dancing, and a dog show.
You may also want to watch:
One canine who didn’t enter the contest was a robotic dog who roamed the gardens, greeting visitors.
The Rotary Club of Royston held its annual classic car and motorbike show, with Peter Nightingale, of Priory Close, Royston, winning the best car prize for his Rolls Royce Phantom V, and Buntingford resident Alan Smith taking the motorbike award for his BSA 1959 Gold Star.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 5 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 6 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 7 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 8 Thatcher returns after 30 years to repair cottage where he met his wife
- 9 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 10 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire
Cllr Davidson paid tribute to all the volunteers who made the day a success.
“A big thank you goes to everyone who helped behind the scenes, from the May Fayre committee to the town hall staff and volunteers,” she said.
“It was a fantastic day all round.”
* For a gallery of pictures, click on the link in the top right-hand corner.