Gallery: Crowds flock to Royston's Kite Festival
IN spite of the uncertain weather thousands of people turned out for this year s Royston Charity Kite Festival on Sunday. And the displays thrilled the crowd around the arena on Therfield Heath as the kite experts went through their routines. These ranged
IN spite of the uncertain weather thousands of people turned out for this year's Royston Charity Kite Festival on Sunday.
And the displays thrilled the crowd around the arena on Therfield Heath as the kite experts went through their routines.
These ranged from Stafford Wallace and his delicate Indian Fighting Kites to the almost balletic display from Team Spectrum.
The event was opened by Richard Spendlove, of BBC Radio Cambridgeshire.
You may also want to watch:
The day began under grey clouds and drizzle and ended with a heavy shower - but in between it was perfect weather for the displays with plenty of wind for all the experts to display their skills.
And as the weather improved the crowds built up for the displays in an event which has become a highlight of the year.
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 6 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 7 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 8 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Charlie and Stan slapstick homage riffs on the pair's clowning skills at Cambridge Arts Theatre
Ken Charles, one of the organisers, said at the end of the day: "The crowd seemed to be down on the past, but we can blame that on the weather.