Gallery: Businesses take part in Royston Pancake Race
A RESTAURANT battered all comers in the revived Royston pancake race last Saturday. Previously a popular event in the town s calendar, the event was revived this year by Ken and Di Charles in aid of the Royston Parish Church cHALLenge appeal, which is aim
A RESTAURANT battered all comers in the revived Royston pancake race last Saturday.
Previously a popular event in the town's calendar, the event was revived this year by Ken and Di Charles in aid of the Royston Parish Church cHALLenge appeal, which is aiming to raise cash needed to build the church a new hall.
Despite some inclement weather, 13 teams and several hundred supporters turned out for the race in Priory Memorial Gardens.
Many organisations and businesses were invited to take part, and the Palazzo restaurant proved to be the winners of the final, followed home by the Meridian School and the Rotary Club of Royston.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Charles said: "It was a truly family occasion with resounding cheers encouraging and praising all the competitors, as they ran the shuttle relays whilst tossing the pancakes.
"It was great. Can we have it again next year?' was a popular expression amongst the runners and spectators, and we have little doubt we shall attract more teams in 2011," he added.
- 1 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 2 Local Election 2021 results: NHDC leader loses seat
- 3 Results in for South Cambs District Council by-election
- 4 Local Election 2021: Counting starts for North Herts council
- 5 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 6 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 7 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 8 Promising Young Woman review: Carey Mulligan shines in Emerald Fennell's outstanding movie
- 9 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 10 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
A date of March 5 has already been set for next year's race.