Gallery: Businesses take part in Royston Pancake Race
A RESTAURANT battered all comers in the revived Royston pancake race last Saturday. Previously a popular event in the town s calendar, the event was revived this year by Ken and Di Charles in aid of the Royston Parish Church cHALLenge appeal, which is aim
A RESTAURANT battered all comers in the revived Royston pancake race last Saturday.
Previously a popular event in the town's calendar, the event was revived this year by Ken and Di Charles in aid of the Royston Parish Church cHALLenge appeal, which is aiming to raise cash needed to build the church a new hall.
Despite some inclement weather, 13 teams and several hundred supporters turned out for the race in Priory Memorial Gardens.
Many organisations and businesses were invited to take part, and the Palazzo restaurant proved to be the winners of the final, followed home by the Meridian School and the Rotary Club of Royston.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Charles said: "It was a truly family occasion with resounding cheers encouraging and praising all the competitors, as they ran the shuttle relays whilst tossing the pancakes.
"It was great. Can we have it again next year?' was a popular expression amongst the runners and spectators, and we have little doubt we shall attract more teams in 2011," he added.
- 1 Ofcom investigation into problem key fobs at Tesco Royston concludes
- 2 Grandmother who got on a motorcycle aged 105 passes away
- 3 Pupils to return to school as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 North Hertfordshire's inspirational volunteers recognised in awards
- 5 COVID deaths fall by 50% in Herts hospitals
- 6 Aircraft museum celebrates 85 years since the Spitfire's maiden flight
- 7 Council tax set to rise in South Cambs to help support frontline services
- 8 Have your say at virtual town meeting
- 9 Special report: An insight into dog theft in Hertfordshire
- 10 Have your say on A505 Litlington turning proposals
A date of March 5 has already been set for next year's race.