Gallery: Businesses take part in Royston Pancake Race
A RESTAURANT battered all comers in the revived Royston pancake race last Saturday. Previously a popular event in the town s calendar, the event was revived this year by Ken and Di Charles in aid of the Royston Parish Church cHALLenge appeal, which is aim
A RESTAURANT battered all comers in the revived Royston pancake race last Saturday.
Previously a popular event in the town's calendar, the event was revived this year by Ken and Di Charles in aid of the Royston Parish Church cHALLenge appeal, which is aiming to raise cash needed to build the church a new hall.
Despite some inclement weather, 13 teams and several hundred supporters turned out for the race in Priory Memorial Gardens.
Many organisations and businesses were invited to take part, and the Palazzo restaurant proved to be the winners of the final, followed home by the Meridian School and the Rotary Club of Royston.
Mr Charles said: "It was a truly family occasion with resounding cheers encouraging and praising all the competitors, as they ran the shuttle relays whilst tossing the pancakes.
"It was great. Can we have it again next year?' was a popular expression amongst the runners and spectators, and we have little doubt we shall attract more teams in 2011," he added.
- 1 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 2 North Herts grass verge cutting to be reduced
- 3 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 4 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 5 All aboard for Steam at the Hoops festival in Bassingbourn
- 6 New mayor makes historic market her first stop
- 7 Royston drama group CADS wins new play award for The Blonde Bombshell at Welwyn festival
- 8 New mayor elected in historic moment for Royston Town Council
- 9 Sue Gray report finds lockdown party behaviour was 'unacceptable'
- 10 5 things you might not have known about Herts county council's new chairman
A date of March 5 has already been set for next year's race.