Gallery: Ashwell Book Weekend 2009
HUNDREDS of brilliant books filled a church hall last weekend. And the latest Ashwell book weekend was a record breaking success, with more books and bigger profits than ever before. Carolyn Lush, from the organising committee, said: We beat last year s
HUNDREDS of brilliant books filled a church hall last weekend.
And the latest Ashwell book weekend was a record breaking success, with more books and bigger profits than ever before.
Carolyn Lush, from the organising committee, said: "We beat last year's total, and raised �3,378 for the Church Restoration Appeal.
"Because of the credit crunch we put the price of the books down a bit this year, so to make more money than before was a great achievement."
You may also want to watch:
Villagers donated a wide range of fiction and non-fiction volumes, which the organisers, aided by a team of volunteers, spent last week sorting into categories.
Mrs Lush added: "We're getting more and more books donated every year. People know the weekend is coming up now, so they save them up to bring to us.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
"We sold a lot of the books, but had some left over, which have been sent to a good home at Oxfam," she said.